PENFED (any chance)

I've read lots of goodies in this forum abt Penfed esp. gas rebates, low apr, etc but jst afraid to try with them. I got bk in 07 disch. & have slowly rebuilt my cs now @ 660/ 690 both FICO, any advice would be appreciated. Thnks.

Frequent Contributor

Re: PENFED (any chance)

Penfed is VERY conservative.  They strongly dislike public records.  They denied me for a secured cc w/ficos in the mid-high 600s JUST b/c of a 7 yo tax lien, so I’m not sure they’d give you a cc w/a recent bk.

Thnks & would not try them then if they don't like me who'd past record...they just miss a probable good & responsible borrower now :smileyhappy:.  
Frequent Contributor

Can you join usaa or nfcu or a local credit union (maybe alliant- but I’m not sure if they’re bk friendly)?  I was really turned off by penfed’s attitude…holding a 7 yr old baddie against me like I was some kind of criminal…I had more than enough on deposit w/them to cover a secured cc, but they gave me ‘no way, no how, not going to happen’ in return.  Seriously, denial for a SECURED cc?  Just didn’t make sense.  Oh well, USAA just gave me a secured cc + soon I will get 1 from NFCU.  Sometimes denials from 1 place turn into better things @ other places.

dont know if I can bec Im not in service, I have CU chk/ sav acct & 4 post-bk CC with low utilz, 1 reason I ask PenF was I know they give high CL which that's primarily my target..high CL, anyone you recommend that I have a chance?

Senior Contributor

PenFed does not give high CL unless you have excellent credit and income to justify.

Credit Scoring 101 - Tuscani   *  Guide to Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads * FICO High Achievers  *  FICO Score Estimator

09/03/2009 TU: 777, EQ: 776 ($8 balance on an account dropped me out of 780's)
03/28/2009 TU: 814, EQ: 810, EX: 781 (02/12/2009)
05/18/2005 TU: 563, EQ: 580, EX: 549
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.