Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PENFED but not in the army or anything like that

tag
Percy
Regular Contributor

PENFED but not in the army or anything like that

DO i need to be in the army to be in this credit union? if not with a 20k income... and a fico of 660eq tu 686 ex675 could i get a credit card?
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Re: PENFED but not in the army or anything like that

@Abester000 wrote:
DO i need to be in the army to be in this credit union? if not with a 20k income... and a fico of 660eq tu 686 ex675 could i get a credit card?

You do not need to have any direct or indirect connection to join PenFed. The membership criteria are fully described here:

https://www.penfed.org/howToJoin/overview.asp

You could be approved for something by PenFed, but a 660 EQ FICO is very low for them. They are conservative with their credit extensions and only somewhat tolerant of negative CBR information.

Message 2 of 23
Percy
Regular Contributor

do u recommend i get a bofa secured credit card?
Message 3 of 23
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

I believe I recommended that route for you in an earlier thread and still do. If you wanted build a relationship with a CU like PenFed you could also call them and inquire about secured cards. There might be something for you, but you will have to dig in and do some phone work.
Message 4 of 23
Percy
Regular Contributor

is it good to get a checking account with them?
Message 5 of 23
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

I have money on deposit with PenFed, but many do not. Some CU's like you to have a relationship with them - many do not care. Personally I think PenFed likes it.

That being said the checking account is free if you always maintain a $500 minimum balance. If you slip below that level for one day a fee will be imposed. So if you can't maintain a consistent $500 balance don't bother opening a checking account. You can use the share account or a MMA to keep funds on deposit with them.

Message 6 of 23
Percy
Regular Contributor

Visa Platinum Rewards card im going to request 500 for my limit to start. which is the minimum.
Message 7 of 23
Percy
Regular Contributor

So... They denied my application due to Capital one delinquincy within the past 12 months... i pulled a recent equifax report and nothings showing up as delinquint since 2005..... They told me that i could send in a recon letter via email.... which i would like to do but i do not know how to write it.... can somoene assist me with it?
Message 8 of 23
IOBA
Senior Contributor

My suggestion with Penfed -- have an excellent relationship with them for 6 months.  Penfed, like most CU's, will offer more credit after the relationship has seasoned 6-12 months.

If they say no for now, just wait 6 months.  Your log in on the website will let you know what offers are available to you.

Recon them -- not usually successful, even with documentations.  Penfed REALLY wants you to be with them for 6 months before going further.  There are exceptions... 

Message 9 of 23
Percy
Regular Contributor

how do i recon them in this case... i cannot write a letter at all.... i failed english in high school lol
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.