cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PENFED multiple Inquiries for one application

tag
uspcredit

PENFED multiple Inquiries for one application

I applied for the penfed rewards card.  They pulled two hard inquiries for the one application.  I then got this message "Section 326 of the USA PATRIOT Act requires all financial institutions to maintain a Customer Identification Program (CIP) to verify the identity of each customer/member wishing to conduct financial transactions."  When I called customer service to satisfy the requirement, i told them that my application was denied.  The very nice lady on the line told me to type a letter, scan it, and email it to them why I think I should be approved. So I did.  Guess what....  NOW I HAVE THREE HARD INQUIRES FOR ONE CREDIT APPLICATION. Who does that?  Is it even legal for them to do this?   Anybody else have the same experience?  I wouldn't apply if you aren't looking for multiple inquires for one application.

Message 3 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
uspcredit

Re: PENFED did a hard inquiry to set my PIN :(

I applied for the penfed rewards card.  They pulled two hard inquiries for the one application.  I then got this message "Section 326 of the USA PATRIOT Act requires all financial institutions to maintain a Customer Identification Program (CIP) to verify the identity of each customer/member wishing to conduct financial transactions."  When I called customer service to satisfy the requirement, i told them that my application was denied.  The very nice lady on the line told me to type a letter, scan it, and email it to them why I think I should be approved. So I did.  Guess what....  NOW I HAVE THREE HARD INQUIRES FOR ONE CREDIT APPLICATION. Who does that?  Is it even legal for them to do this?   Anybody else have the same experience?  I wouldn't apply if you aren't looking for multiple inquires for one application.

Message 1 of 11
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: PENFED did a hard inquiry to set my PIN :(

@uspcredit

Welcome to the forum! Once you've submitted an application, the lender has permissible purpose to pull your CR's. That being said, you may ask them to remove one or two inq's but they are not required to.
Message 2 of 11
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: PENFED multiple Inquiries for one application

Welcome to the forum 

Sorry it happened to you and I hope you get approved but CAP1 does it all the time 

1 app 3 HP's 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 11
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@uspcredit wrote:

Are they on the same credit bureau or is it 1 on each of credit bureau?

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 5 of 11
enharu
Super Contributor

It is legal for them, and any other financial institution to do multiple inquiries on any credit app.

Chase, citi, Barclays, American Express, and many other banks do pull new inquiries for reconsiderations as well. If you do not want new inquires on top of what you already got for the initial app, then do not appeal the decision.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 6 of 11
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

OP,

I merged you post with your earlier post from another thread. To avoid confusion, please do not double post.

Thanks!

Lexie
Message 7 of 11
uspcredit

All three inquiries were on Equifax. One on the day I applied, one the next day, and the third the day after they received my letter. I am still shocked that they would pull three hard inquiries for one application. I would have really appreciated it if they would have communicated with me regarding the letter they suggested that I write, might result in an inquiry. I wouldn't have written the letter. myfico score is 717 on Equifax
Message 8 of 11
enharu
Super Contributor

Citi for example can and has pulled 3-4 inquiries in total for some individuals' reconsiderations appeal. What penfed is doing isn't out of the extraordinary....

Anytime you appeal you are essentially giving the lender permission and telling them to review your files again.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 9 of 11
uspcredit

The reason that I was not expecting so many inquiries, is that other posts in the myfico forums have indicated that one pull would work for multiple accounts applied for, as long as they were within a two to four week time span.  I received three inquires (two for the initial app. and one for the reconsideration letter) on the same credit bureau for one account applied for and one request to reconsider.  Maybe others with higher credit scores have had a better experience than me.  If I would have read a post like mine in the forums, I would not have applied for the card with them.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.