Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIF does not hide credit card usage.

tag
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

PIF does not hide credit card usage.

Lately people think that credit card companies can't see your actual card usage if you PIF before the statement cuts, but this isn't true at least on 2 of the 3 Credit Reports. Below is an insert from my EQ report, see it shows the actual payment for the month, even though the balance shows $0. So the card company knows that I either paid in full the balance or the balance from the previous month.

tu_report_PIF.png

If the lender wants to see more details and to know for sure about my payment habits he can take a look at my EX report.  The interesting details shown below. Where the lenders can see account balance, Payment date, minimum payment and actual payment. As you can see in Feb, I started with a zero balance and paid $26, so my total spend for the month was $26, PIF , in march the card wasn't used at all, started with no balance, and made no payments, in April I let a $59 balance report, but total spend was $226 for the month. On a card with a $200 limit. 

EX_report_pif.png

To sum it up, if lenders are really interested they can see how much your total spend for the month, your total payments for the month, whether or not you let balances report for the last few months.  

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

Re: PIF does not hide credit card usage.

I am not interested in them not seeing it, just that it doesn't report with a balance. I am not sure if they can see all those details, except on a manual review, and most apps do not go through a manual review. Your credit score is computed (in part) by looking at how many cards total, and how many cards report with a balance, and also computing utilization including what amount is reported as of the date the report is pulled.

If the score could compute all of the info as shown, people would not get dings for "no recent use of revolving accounts" but this happens everyday for people who PIF and don't let any balances report.

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 2 of 3
shakalaka
Established Contributor

Re: PIF does not hide credit card usage.

I agree with emptypockets. I have no problems with that. I want them to see, that I use the cards and pay them off. PIF before statement is only a matter of the utilization and a better score in my eyes.

FICO (TU/EX/EQ): 773/766/778 - Total CL 255+K
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.