Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIF every month a bad thing??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PIF every month a bad thing??

This might sound like a stupid question, but I have a few cards and I always PIF every month. Is this bad? Should I ever let a balance post on them for fico purposes?  I only have 1 penfed promise card that I occasionally have a balance carry on, otherwise my disco, citi, b of a, everything is always paid before statement cuts and never shows a balance on CRAs. Just wanna make sure this wasn't a bad thing. Thanks guys!! 

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: PIF every month a bad thing??

Pif is a great policy , really helps control ones debt. It wouldnt hurt to let some stuff report at times but ill leave how correctly to the experts.
Message 2 of 19
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This might sound like a stupid question, but I have a few cards and I always PIF every month. Is this bad? Should I ever let a balance post on them for fico purposes?  I only have 1 penfed promise card that I occasionally have a balance carry on, otherwise my disco, citi, b of a, everything is always paid before statement cuts and never shows a balance on CRAs. Just wanna make sure this wasn't a bad thing. Thanks guys!! 

1. If you define "pay in full" as pay in full before the due date.... no it's a great thing.

2. If you define "pay in full" as pay before the statement cuts... it's a great thing to do that with all but one of your cards, and to let one card report a small balance. You will actually get better FICO points with 1 account reporting a small balance, than with 100% zero balances.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think it's personal preference. If I'm not going to app for any cards, loans, mortages, etc. Then I just let my balances post and pay it off before the due date. However, If I know im going to be apping for something, I'll def pay before the statment cuts so that I can control and show little to no balance on my credit report. So it really depends.....if youre not going to be applying for anything I wouldn't go crazy over micro mananging it. 

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Occasionally let your PenFed report then you can kind of see the patterns for your personal profile how it goes up a couple points and down a couple points. We can quote philosophy but you are the only one who is going to be spot-on with your data and how it affects what youre running with. The most important thing is saving money. If you are not paying out any interest you're doing it right. you only need to worry about FICO scoring if you are ready to apply for something or ask for increases with existing accounts. Otherwise to stay the course and just pay something off by the due date is just fine and build history exactly the same
Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone! Only credit I intend on seeking are SP cli. I wasn't sure if I should take turns letting my different accounts post a balance or if that didn't matter. I woke up in a small panic this morning as my discover statement is due to cut in a couple days and I have a balance on it. I immediately paid it off and wrote up this post as I wasn't sure if it was a huge deal or if I was hurting myself by not letting any accounts close with a balance. I've come a long way in my rebuild and I wanna make sure I do it right this time around. 

Message 6 of 19
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Great question though, great repliesSmiley Happy

In regards to Disco, i dont think anyone way would please them you're either on their " IT" list for cli or your not. Monkeys and keyboardsSmiley Happy
Message 7 of 19
ls2016
Frequent Contributor

No, it is not a bad thing. I pay in full every month simply because I can't afford to pay interest on credit cards (8.74- 25% on all 20 cards). This mortgage and student loan interest is already tough, to add credit card interest on top of that...I can't handle it. I do let the statement cut and the balance report before I PIF by the due date. It works for me. Now, if I was forced to carry a balance, then I wouldn't have a choice but to pay interest, but right now, I don't have to.
Best Wishes to you!
Current FICO 8s: Ex 768, Tu 741, Eq 741
Current FICO 9s: Ex 775, Tu ?? Eq 781
Total TLs: $120,000
8 (30-60 day) mortgage lates and 2 (30 day) auto lates remain from Jan., Feb. 2016
Current Mortgage Ex. Fico 2 787
Message 8 of 19
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

It's not being suggested that anyone pay interest.

PIF (pay in full) means to pay the full statement balance by the due date. That will avoid interest.

Some people like to go beyond that and pay to zero. That's when one pays all charges before the statement cuts, resulting in a statement balance of zero.

FICO likes lots of zero balances, but it prefers to see a positive balance appear on at least one card. But it likes positive balances on less than half of one's cards.

For best results, pay all cards except one to zero before the statement cuts. That'll avoid any quirks that may slightly ding one's score. Make sure that balance is on a major card and is at least $5.

As mentioned above, it isn't necessary to do this all the time. But trying it out provides good practice so you know what you need to do when it might be beneficial to eek out every point you can.

Message 9 of 19
Blackswizz750
Established Contributor

Good for keeping things clean and if you are preparing to app for a beneficial cause. Good habit to have.
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.