cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIF or multiple monthly pmts on your credit cards? Does it really matter?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: PIF or multiple monthly pmts on your credit cards? Does it really matter?

@Anonymous wrote:

PIF when statement cuts if you're just in normal mode.

PIF before statement cut on all but one in case you're in new account mode.

This is my general strategy also.

Message 11 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I usually pay weekly to achieve a low reported util; the one time I let one card report a >30% util my scores dropped by an average of 17 points. Regardless of when you pay (before or after the statement cut) CRs are going to show how much you're running through the cards. If you max out a card but pay in full before the cut it will show how much you paid on that card that month even if the reported util is 0%. This lets creditors determine if you're a revolver or a transactor and also gives them an insight to how much you spend on your cards. 

Message 12 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I got my prime cards.  I used some to pay about 400/500 monthly for the first 5 months.  Just so they see I can pay either way.  Now, I PIF & just have one reporting.  I think it looks better on your report also.  Especially if you have more credit plus other loans.  Mtg, auto, etc.

Message 13 of 24
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I usually pay weekly to achieve a low reported util; the one time I let one card report a >30% util my scores dropped by an average of 17 points. Regardless of when you pay (before or after the statement cut) CRs are going to show how much you're running through the cards. If you max out a card but pay in full before the cut it will show how much you paid on that card that month even if the reported util is 0%. This lets creditors determine if you're a revolver or a transactor and also gives them an insight to how much you spend on your cards. 

Could you do me a big favor and post a picture from your credit report of how your credit card looks when you are paying in full before the statement cuts? This would be several months where they list out the Statement Amount, Amount Due, Amount Paid, etc. and you have been hitting those months with usage on the card, but have paid each month in full prior to statement print. And I don't mean from the credit card statement but actually from the credit bureau report.

Thanks

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 14 of 24
jbsea
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have never seen on my how much I spent on my cc on a credit report.  I have seen a "high balance" but that in itself does not say how much I spent that month.  That is why you leave a small balance on you cc to show that it is active.

I do make weekly payments on my cards.  Mainly because it makes me happy to keep low balance and my cc can never get out of control.  Since I've been rebuilding and found these forms I have not paid any interest and that make me happy too.

Amex Gold / Amex Platinum / Amex Marriott Brilliant/ Amex BCP/ Capital One Venture (AU) / Capital One Savor One/ Discover / NFCU Cash Rewards / BOA Unlimited Cash Rewards / NFCU GO Rewards (AU) / Amex EDP / NFCU Flagship Rewards / Chase Freedom (AU) / Capital One QuickSilver / Citi Costco (AU) / Amex Delta
Message 15 of 24
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Then again, a low balance may tempt you to go spending all over. That's why restaurants are so eager to take away dirty dishes on our table; your sense of accomplishment is gone, and you feel like filling up. Dessert please - and lots of it!

Message 16 of 24
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous-own-fico wrote:

Then again, a low balance may tempt you to go spending all over. That's why restaurants are so eager to take away dirty dishes on our table; your sense of accomplishment is gone, and you feel like filling up. Dessert please - and lots of it!

Interesting analogy, the alternative dining experience being a little messy... shrimp cocktail with lasagne sauce and ice cream... mmmmmm! Smiley Tongue

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 17 of 24
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Could you do me a big favor and post a picture from your credit report of how your credit card looks when you are paying in full before the statement cuts? This would be several months where they list out the Statement Amount, Amount Due, Amount Paid, etc. and you have been hitting those months with usage on the card, but have paid each month in full prior to statement print. And I don't mean from the credit card statement but actually from the credit bureau report.

Thanks

I will grant your favor.  Smiley Happy

Fidelity Amex Transactions on Credit Report.JPG

FICOs: TU08 842 EQ08 850 EX08 850

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; Apple Card $20K; BofA Travel Rewards Visa Sig $67.6K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Chase Freedom Unlimited $21.4K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Visa $25K; NFCU Flagship Visa Sig $40K; NFCU More Rewards Amex $30K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Altitude Go Visa Sig $20K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Message 18 of 24
bengalikejenga
Regular Contributor

i try to pay in full whenever it is possible, but i do have a card or two reporting with a balance every month... those its usually my 0% promo apr cards that i let report... though i make multiple payments to the creditor during the month.

Ex681 Tu694 EQ708
Message 19 of 24
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@CribDuchess wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks

I will grant your favor.  Smiley Happy

Fidelity Amex Transactions on Credit Report.JPG

Hey Duchess!  Just quoting you for the hello hah!

More generally, while UW's can see this when they pull a credit report, not all creditors report this currently and FICO doesn't make use of it at least in FICO 8 at any rate... and probably not FICO 9 either since there are major lenders who aren't reporting this last time I looked at a base report a couple months ago.

Hopefully at some point this gets integrated into FICO as far as use goes and perhaps the $0 balances penalty can be whacked.  I get that $0's across the board led to a different statistical analytics result but we should be able to do better for determining card non-use imo, even if that was just a more consistent implementation of date of last update / reported activity.

        
Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.