Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PLEASE SEE I.D.

tag
Sparkz1920
Frequent Contributor

Re: PLEASE SEE I.D.

@espnjunkie wrote:

I'm not asking why a bar would do that, I definitely understand why, but I am curious if they are breaching the cardmember agreement in asking to hold onto your id

Someone on another forum i frequent stated that AMEX called him because they saw a purchase in Nj and one in D.C.....He was in D.C. and gave the bartender his card then went back up to Jersey...Bartender tried to use the AMEX card.

I wouldnt dare trust them with my ID, sad to say i have given it in the past but after that story...lord no...

Starting Score: 601
Current Score: 670
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

NFCU Rewards- 8K......AMEX Delta Skymiles-5k.....Citi AAdvantage AMEX-3.5K...WalMart Discover-4K....Old Navy Visa-2k...BOA-3000...AMEX Green-NPSL....Discover More-1K
Message 41 of 48
Sparkz1920
Frequent Contributor

@john398 wrote:

@ryanbush wrote:

i've never had to leave my ID with a card, i guess different areas are different...  around here you normally show your ID at the door and then in the smaller places the waitress keeps a tab and you pay when you leave...  the larger places they swipe your card and hand it back to you and you settle up at the end of the night (I perfer this because i can leave when it gets busy and not have to stand in line for 15 minutes to get my card back)

Just curious if you just leave, is the tip automatically added?

Ive had that happen to me...They told me on certain floors in the club, a tip is automatically added....i was not happy with that

Starting Score: 601
Current Score: 670
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

NFCU Rewards- 8K......AMEX Delta Skymiles-5k.....Citi AAdvantage AMEX-3.5K...WalMart Discover-4K....Old Navy Visa-2k...BOA-3000...AMEX Green-NPSL....Discover More-1K
Message 42 of 48
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

@Sparkz1920 wrote:

@john398 wrote:

@ryanbush wrote:

i've never had to leave my ID with a card, i guess different areas are different...  around here you normally show your ID at the door and then in the smaller places the waitress keeps a tab and you pay when you leave...  the larger places they swipe your card and hand it back to you and you settle up at the end of the night (I perfer this because i can leave when it gets busy and not have to stand in line for 15 minutes to get my card back)

Just curious if you just leave, is the tip automatically added?

Ive had that happen to me...They told me on certain floors in the club, a tip is automatically added....i was not happy with that

I know at the bar I frequent...if you forget your card and go to get it the next day, they automatically add 18%. They also USED to do $50 authorizations on cards whenever a tab is opened...they haven't done that lately. Some other places in my area do that though.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 43 of 48
kekrre
Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

Visa actually instructs merchants not to accept a card if it is unsigned or says "SEE ID". http://usa.visa.com/merchants/risk_management/card_present.html#anchor_6

They are supposed to ask you to sign it and match it to a government issued form of identification. Cards are not valid unless signed, so if a merchant accepts it they are violating their agreement.

I think it is silly anyway since most places do not even look at the signature. The only place that still takes the card round here is Radio Shack, and they do actually match the signatures. My brother tried to make a purchase there and they would not process it until he signed the card. When other stores used to take the card they never turned it over to check the signature.

A friend of mine and I were in MA (we're both from CT). She went to a Forever 21 (not an electronics store, as has been mentioned several times here - and her purchase was not that much). The merchant refused to accept her card (debit) because it said "see ID" and her ID was out of state. I suppose one could argue "how do I know if an ID from XX is legitimate or not?", but one would expect that a large shopping center just across the border might see a few CT licenses.

On the other hand, I used to write "See ID" on my cards several years ago. Hardly any transactions required it. I eventually decided that a) it wasn't worth the hassle and b) I should just go sign as per the cardmember agreement to be in the clear should anything happen. I've never had my card stolen, but I only occasionally go to places where my card is out of my possession - it really unnerves me leaving my CC with a bartender (or perhaps it unnerves me paying $10 for a single pour of scotch/bourbon that costs maybe $50/bottle).

|||||||
Message 44 of 48
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

2 stories  

turning 21 in july ive been to my share of bars/clubs in the past 6 months. 

i usually open a tab, and they always require a card AND i.d. that they keep until you leave,(im in M.A.)

never once had a overcharge, but i ALWAYS tip at least 18% and its always what it was supposed to be. 

as for see i.d. 

my mom has this on ALL her cards so we did a little expierment we went too 4 different stores and charged some stuff (all under 100 dollars) 

and we made a bet about if they would actually ask. anyways all the stores didnt ask. all the cards were in her name only. the only one that was kinda of iffy is actually because the card was expired so it got denied lol. but she had the new one. 

we didnt try my cards but i was in staples the next day and charged like 1 dollar for pens and they asked for id when my card is signed. go figure

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 45 of 48
4thmouse

I used to write See ID, After a few swipes it gets smudged. I found that employees would glance at it and not really read and assume it was a signature. I have been asked for my ID more since I stopped writing anything than when I would write See ID. The other day I was at bestbuy and making a $1400 purchase, The guy took my ID and my card and looked at them then whipped out a pin and told me to write See ID on the back. I flat out told him "NO" and he told me that he wouldn't allow the purchase unless I wrote on the card and it was store policy. I told him to get manager. Manager came and didn't even bother to ask me why I wouldn't sign, She immediatly told the employee to run the card and that it hasn't been store policy in over a year and that it is fine as long as the ID matches the card.

I have had cards stolen from me and used, While I have never had any charges stick it was a pain to have to file a fraud report. Anymore, I thank the employees for checking my ID.

Message 46 of 48
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

I haven't even signed mines... And as for I'd goes, I barely show it.

Now, I obviously prefer stores that don't require I'd and keep me from going to those who do.
For example, I go to Home Depot, swipe the card and the next second I'm on my way out. In the other hand, when going to Winn Dixie, I have to wait 5 mins for someone to come and ring me up while the stupid machine is telling me to remove the not scanned item from the bag.. Hate that place.
Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 47 of 48
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

I used to write See ID on my cards, buy no one ever really looked, so I started signing it See ID.  That got a few peoples attention!  Still some never even noticed!

The card member agreement does state that it is not valid unless signed, so you could still sign it and write See ID!  Then no one would have an issue!

Bars I can understand about wanting you to hand over your ID, they want to make sure you don't forget the card and it is who it is.  It is also in some ways a protection for you!  You don't really want to forget your credit card or get overcharged.  The bartender, whose salary may be as little as $5 an hour also wants to get tipped.  I really wouldn't mind it too much if they asked me to hand it over and have to come back for it, however I don't tend to use credit cards for tips.  Having worked in the service industry a long time, I don't mind if they don't want to pay more in taxes. 

Don't get too stressed out by things where maybe you can figure out the logic behind it, do get stressed out if it is pure BS.  BS=Bureacratic Speak (What did you think it mean something else?)

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 48 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.