Did you mean: 

PNC Cash Rewards

tag
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

Re: PNC Cash Rewards

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi All, 

Just applied today and was instantly approved for a SL of $15k.  I have a PNC Points card ($1k) and a Cash Signature card ($7.5k)  I've also been banking with PNC my whole life.  Was kind of suprised they instantly approved me because I have 12 EXP inquiries.  

Note to all- PNC won't approve you for any of their cards unless you have an existing relationship, similar to WF.  I'm not 100% sure about this, but I've done enough research to confidently post it.

EXP- 786

EQ- 812

TU- 792

Congrats on the approval OP. Actually Wells Fargo sent me a pre-selected offer 3.5 years ago and approved me for a card with no relationship (unless their separate car financing service counts). But this PNC info is good to know to as I've been eyeballing this card also recently.

BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looks like they're going after Citi Costco customers.
Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

In my opinion, no. You can get better than 4% on gas and 2% on groceries with most cards. The 3% isn't bad for restaurants but again the chase aarp card is the clear winner if your a big spender in that category.
Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's awesome.  Which card that you know of has over 4% gas and 3% resturants?  I also have the Chase AARP.  I know.. I have a problem Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 19
TitaniumCash
Regular Contributor

I applied and got approved for this card too, after being told I wasn't allowed to do a PC from their old CashBuilder card. They also told me the two cards have different rewards system so I couldn't even transfer my cash rewards from old account to new one. It's not like I'm telling them to convert points to cash, it's cash to cash. At least it's not a $800 limit like last time though, lol.

Message 15 of 19
Man-Of-Steel
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

That's awesome.  Which card that you know of has over 4% gas and 3% resturants?  I also have the Chase AARP.  I know.. I have a problem Smiley Happy

I don't spend much on gas, but I'm interested in hearing the answer to this also.  I believe that I've heard about a 5% Penfed gas card, that didn't really calculate to 5% when redeemed (that might be outdated info though).  How much better can one do than 4% on gas?  I thought that was a pretty good rate....on par with the Citi Costco card.

Message 16 of 19
csryang
Frequent Contributor

@Man-Of-Steel wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't spend much on gas, but I'm interested in hearing the answer to this also.  I believe that I've heard about a 5% Penfed gas card, that didn't really calculate to 5% when redeemed (that might be outdated info though).  How much better can one do than 4% on gas?  I thought that was a pretty good rate....on par with the Citi Costco card.

For gas--

Sams club mastercard has 5% cash back on gas the first 6k spend per year.

PenFed Platinum Rewards has 5 points per dollar spend on gas but that equals to about 4.25% when redeem for gift card

(old) PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards is no longer available for sign up but has 5% cash back at the pump.

Fort knox and USAA both have 5% cash back on gas but their membership requirement is strict. 

For restaurants--

3% is the best that you can get unless you use a 5-6% cash back card at grocery store or office store to buy restaurant gift card or stacking with app or coupon

Cash+ has 5% in fast food but not including restaurants. 

Honestly the extra 1% cash back is probably not worth applying for a new card anyway. 

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi All, 

Just applied today and was instantly approved for a SL of $15k.  I have a PNC Points card ($1k) and a Cash Signature card ($7.5k)  I've also been banking with PNC my whole life.  Was kind of suprised they instantly approved me because I have 12 EXP inquiries.  

Note to all- PNC won't approve you for any of their cards unless you have an existing relationship, similar to WF.  I'm not 100% sure about this, but I've done enough research to confidently post it.

EXP- 786

EQ- 812

TU- 792

Congrats on your approval!!!

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TitaniumCash wrote:

I applied and got approved for this card too, after being told I wasn't allowed to do a PC from their old CashBuilder card. They also told me the two cards have different rewards system so I couldn't even transfer my cash rewards from old account to new one. It's not like I'm telling them to convert points to cash, it's cash to cash. At least it's not a $800 limit like last time though, lol.

Congrats on your approval!

IMHO the old CashBuilder reward structure was better than the new one. If you met certain requirements, you could earn 1.75% on all purchases. I know it's less than 2% but if you don't qualify for a 2% card it was a decent alternative.

With regards to the new cash back card, most folks (@ myFICO) already have these categories covered. In some instances, they are earning more than 4% on gas and 3% on groceries.

For people that have the original CashBuilder, is the cash structure staying the same or will it be converted to the 1.5%?

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.