cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PNC Premier Travel Rewards Card - (New)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: PNC Premier Travel Rewards Card - (New)

@dragontears wrote:

sorry to burst your bubble but this card is not "new" and has been discussed in the past

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/PNC-Premier-Traveler-NEW-OFFERING/m-p/4564546/highlight...

Not sure why you want to discuss a card worse than ones you trashed 2 days ago

It says "new" in a banner on the picture of the card.

Not sure why you think you can dictate what I'd like to discuss on the boards. Here's your answer: BECAUSE I WANT TO.

How do you like that?

Message 11 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One is much better. Not sure what you really expect people to discuss about this rather weak card.
Message 12 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is a quick run down of better cards:

• Blispay ($0/yr AF, 2% cash, 6mo 0% intro APR for > $200 charges)
  • Capital One Venture ($59/yr AF, 2% redem for travel, better signup bonus)
  • Capital One Spark Cash ($59/yr AF, 2% cash, better signup bonus)
  • Nasa FCU Plat Cash Rewards (2% cash only over $2K/yr spend but better redemption make up for it)
  • Citi Double Cash ($0/yr AF, 2% cash)
  • Fidelity Investment Rewards ($0/yr AF, 2% cash)
  • Barclay Arrival+ ($89/yr AF, 2.10% redem for travel, better signup bonus)

You've been more active on the forum than I have and I'm sure you've came across at least some of the above cards and you should know that it isn't anything special.

I'm just a credit newbee and I even know this card is weak Smiley Very Happy

Message 13 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@dragontears wrote:

sorry to burst your bubble but this card is not "new" and has been discussed in the past

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/PNC-Premier-Traveler-NEW-OFFERING/m-p/4564546/highlight/true#M1319101?filter=location&location=category%3Atypesofcreditproducts&q=pnc

Not sure why you think you can dictate what I'd like to discuss on the boards. Here's your answer: BECAUSE I WANT TO.

How do you like that?

And if I may... dragontears has a good reason to dragon snap at you.  You are sort of contracting yourself on this one IMO.

You were trashing Capital One in another thread and describing your definition of "prime" and "top tier" cards are.  PNC doesn't check all those boxes as what you expect out of a prime card so not sure why you are looking at a less than "top tier" card.

Let's outline the potential upsides to this card that you pointed out:

1. 2% cash back. In that same post you said "2% back cards (Citi Double Cash) ... are much better for the average cardholder.".  So then you are aware of the 2% DC and how its redemption is easier than card that only lets you get 2% when redeemed for travel.  So for daily spend, there are better 2% cards than the PNC.
  2. 30000 points for $3000 spend in 3mo.  There are many cards that have a better signup bonus [see above].
  3. $85 annual fee.  There are many cards that have lower annual fee with similar benefits [see above].
  4. I'm Adding - 0% intro APR on BT for 12mo.  You said "top tier" cards are double QS' 9mo.  So this card isn't even up to your expectations of what makes a good BT card.

Yes, Capital One might not be "top tier".  But they do have soft CLIs every 6 month and will definitely grow with you.  They are willing to work with those that have less than "prime" credit.  Some start off with a $300 QS1 and within a couple years can get a $20-40K Venture.  Also sometimes they have random 0% BT offers.

PNC, on the other hand, is dishonest with their points cards... teasing people with 4X and up to 75% bonus when their points are worth fractions of a penny and even with a bunch of bonuses they net no better than a 2% card and probably closer to a 1.5% card.  That is shameful.  At least C1 is honest and straight forward about their offerings.

So if you objectively ignored the brands of the cards...PNC Premier Travel Rewards vs Capital One Venture:

Card 1 = 2% cash back for travel, 30000 points for $3000 in 3mo, $85 AF

Card 2 = 2% cash back for travel, 40000 points for $3000 in 3mo, $59 AF

It is clear cut that the Venture is better in every way except the BT, but since you didn't list it... it isn't a priority to you at this time.

Message 14 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Blackbeauty212 wrote:

PNC is NOT a "Big Dog" in the credit card game. They're not Chase, CIti, Capital One, Amex. They're on the level with Wells and U.S Bank, they really only want relationship banking customers. People who live in their markets and already have Checking/Savings/Mortages with them. Credit Cards are a complementary product offering to them, not a primary play at all.   The Cards they offer are for people who want all their banking in one place, and want that "total" relationship with PNC. This is why I have the 2 cards with them I do, purely for the relationship building, nothing else. PNC is credit card products are pretty boring.  

I agree with some of your points. IMO, they have two cards worth mentioning: Core & CashBuilder. Core is good for balance transfers and someone can earn up to 1.75% (determined on spend/account balances) cash back with the CashBuilder credit card. It just depends on a person's need/wants. For someone looking for relationship banking, mentioned earlier, those are two decent cards.

Message 15 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Here is a quick run down of better cards:

• Blispay ($0/yr AF, 2% cash, 6mo 0% intro APR for > $200 charges)
  • Capital One Venture ($59/yr AF, 2% redem for travel, better signup bonus)
  • Capital One Spark Cash ($59/yr AF, 2% cash, better signup bonus)
  • Nasa FCU Plat Cash Rewards (2% cash only over $2K/yr spend but better redemption make up for it)
  • Citi Double Cash ($0/yr AF, 2% cash)
  • Fidelity Investment Rewards ($0/yr AF, 2% cash)
  • Barclay Arrival+ ($89/yr AF, 2.10% redem for travel, better signup bonus)

You've been more active on the forum than I have and I'm sure you've came across at least some of the above cards and you should know that it isn't anything special.

I'm just a credit newbee and I even know this card is weak Smiley Very Happy

Thanks for the comparison chart newbee! I'm sure folks will find it helpful.Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@dragontears wrote:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/PNC-Premier-Traveler-NEW-OFFERING/m-p/4564546/highlight/true#M1319101?filter=location&location=category%3Atypesofcreditproducts&q=pnc

How do you like that?

And if I may... dragontears has a good reason to dragon snap at you.  You are sort of contracting yourself on this one IMO.

You were trashing Capital One in another thread and describing your definition of "prime" and "top tier" cards are.  PNC doesn't check all those boxes as what you expect out of a prime card so not sure why you are looking at a less than "top tier" card.

1. 2% cash back. In that same post you said "2% back cards (Citi Double Cash) ... are much better for the average cardholder.".  So then you are aware of the 2% DC and how its redemption is easier than card that only lets you get 2% when redeemed for travel.  So for daily spend, there are better 2% cards than the PNC.
  2. 30000 points for $3000 spend in 3mo.  There are many cards that have a better signup bonus [see above].
  3. $85 annual fee.  There are many cards that have lower annual fee with similar benefits [see above].
  4. I'm Adding - 0% intro APR on BT for 12mo.  You said "top tier" cards are double QS' 9mo.  So this card isn't even up to your expectations of what makes a good BT card.

Yes, Capital One might not be "top tier".  But they do have soft CLIs every 6 month and will definitely grow with you.  They are willing to work with those that have less than "prime" credit.  Some start off with a $300 QS1 and within a couple years can get a $20-40K Venture.  Also sometimes they have random 0% BT offers.

PNC, on the other hand, is dishonest with their points cards... teasing people with 4X and up to 75% bonus when their points are worth fractions of a penny and even with a bunch of bonuses they net no better than a 2% card and probably closer to a 1.5% card.  That is shameful.  At least C1 is honest and straight forward about their offerings.

So if you objectively ignored the brands of the cards...PNC Premier Travel Rewards vs Capital One Venture:

It is clear cut that the Venture is better in every way except the BT, but since you didn't list it... it isn't a priority to you at this time.

This is a well thought out response CreditNewBee. Keep it coming!Smiley Happy

Message 17 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@dragontears wrote:

How do you like that?

I never said I wanted the card, I never said it was prime, and I never said it was a good card... It's actually a weak offering.

Message 18 of 22
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I never said I wanted the card, I never said it was prime, and I never said it was a good card... It's actually a weak offering.

OK, but there are lots of weak cards out there.  So why single this particular one out "for discussion"?

Message 19 of 22
Blackbeauty212
Frequent Contributor

@beautifulblaquepearl wrote:

@Blackbeauty212 wrote:

PNC is NOT a "Big Dog" in the credit card game. They're not Chase, CIti, Capital One, Amex. They're on the level with Wells and U.S Bank, they really only want relationship banking customers. People who live in their markets and already have Checking/Savings/Mortages with them. Credit Cards are a complementary product offering to them, not a primary play at all.   The Cards they offer are for people who want all their banking in one place, and want that "total" relationship with PNC. This is why I have the 2 cards with them I do, purely for the relationship building, nothing else. PNC is credit card products are pretty boring.  

I agree with some of your points. IMO, they have two cards worth mentioning: Core & CashBuilder. Core is good for balance transfers and someone can earn up to 1.75% (determined on spend/account balances) cash back with the CashBuilder credit card. It just depends on a person's need/wants. For someone looking for relationship banking, mentioned earlier, those are two decent cards.

The Cashbulder is nothing to write home about if you're don't have a Virtual Wallet account.. and the Citi Simplicity and Chase Slate are the best 2 BT cards on the market, the Core doesn't come close. 

Again PNC cards are not worth blinking an eye at, unless you already do banking with them and are looking to have that total relationship with them. I've never even heard of someone having a PNC credit card that didn't bank with them too. Will they even accept applications from Non Market Customers? 

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.