Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PNC Secured Card

tag
Chrisla2077
Established Contributor

PNC Secured Card

I spoke with a rep today while opening a savings account at PNC bank that confirmed they have a Secured CC. He said it's a $250 deposit to open....does anyone have any experience with this card?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: PNC Secured Card

i dont have any experience with PNC product, but I believe PNC Bank is a GOOD Bank, there are few Branches in my area. Go apply for the card, my friend have one of their card with high limit, they consider big bank.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have this card in my wallet right now.

$3 monthly fee, 18.99% APR, easily payable from the online interface if you already have accounts with PNC, it doesn't list as secured on any of my credit reports (though what creditors get to see might differ), and I was told you can request to have it graduated to one of their unsecured products after a year- though I have not done so yet. The card itself is blue and rather plain looking, but it has a clean and simple aesthetic and does not in any way suggest by appearance that it is secured.

It isn't, strictly speaking, the absolute best deal available in a secured card, but it is one of the best and is extremely convenient if you have other PNC accounts anyway.

Message 3 of 9
Chrisla2077
Established Contributor

I just set up a savings account with them just as a "slush fund" and I'd known about their Secured Product. Was it easy to get approved...I've heard it's a 100% approval.

Message 4 of 9
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

I have heard that it is not 100%.  I would do it, but it means I have to go into the bank.  (This is difficult for me since I work in China.)

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have this card in my wallet right now.

$3 monthly fee, 18.99% APR,

There are secured cards out there with no monthly fees.

One thing that you should ask before you apply for a card is whether the secured card, itself, simply graduates to being unsecured, or do you have to close that account and then start over with an unsecured card. My DH had no credit history (he's from another country), and he got 2 secured cards- 1 was from Wells Fargo and that card just turned into an unsecured card, so when it did that, he now has a card with a longer age; the other card is from a credit union and they will not let the card become unsecured on its own. DH needs to close the secured card and then reapply for an unsecured card. We aren't worried about him being approved as his scores are excellent, however, he will now have a brand new card on his credit report that will lower his AAoA.

Message 6 of 9
Chrisla2077
Established Contributor

Smiley WinkI chose this to be 1 of the secured cards I get just to have a positive TL. It has a min of 250...so I will probably just eat that cash for awhile and charge about $5 to it just to keep it up. I'll be getting (God Willing) a higher balance unsecured from NFCU that i've read has the ability to graduate. This will be my major one. I'm also looking into getting a small secured loan. to build accounts. Boy ...when I have good scores again...i'll do everything in my power to stop it from ever dropping...though a dual job loss killed my 760....sorry..just griping at this point.

Message 7 of 9
Chrisla2077
Established Contributor

@bernhardtra wrote:

I have heard that it is not 100%.  I would do it, but it means I have to go into the bank.  (This is difficult for me since I work in China.)

The rep I spoke with today said he would send  me an application, and that I could do it without going to the bank.

Message 8 of 9
joedtx
Valued Contributor

@Chrisla2077 wrote:

@bernhardtra wrote:

The rep I spoke with today said he would send  me an application, and that I could do it without going to the bank.

Did you have  success getting the card?

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.