Frequent Contributor

Re: POLL: Absolute BEST Credit Cards for CASH REWARDS and AIRLINE MILES

@SoCalBound wrote:

@CS800 wrote:

I would say in order of my point of view:

1. PenFed - 5% Gas

2. AMEX 1-2-3 - 3% Gas

3. BCE - 3% gas

If only the surrounding gas stations didnt charge more per gallon for the use of credit cards as opposed to cash....

I have question about pharmacies like Rite-Aid, CVS, Walgreens, under what catagory do they fall with Rewards cards.

It is a 2% cash back option for the casH+ card I know that. 

Lender pulled 10-10-13
EQ Fico 715 | EX Fico 714 | TU Fico 703
Message 31 of 38
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

My favorites:

5% Gas: PenFed (It automatically gives you the cash back when the statement cuts. Takes it off your bill. I like that. No need to monkey around to get it.)

Airline Miles: We are in an area where Delta is big, so I use the AmEx Delta. You will save the annual fee by not paying baggage fees. You can also shop online through Skymiles Shopping for things you are going to buy anyway and get multiple miles and bonus miles. They also have a companion ticket each year.

Discover: I only use it for the 5% categories. Otherwise you have to spend quitre a bit ($3,000?) before you start getting the 1% cash back....and you don't ever get the 1% when you shop at Walmart and other discount stores. I don't want to have to spend thousands of dollars just to get to the 1% and then not even get it at Walmart. I'm in a small midwestern town...WalMart is all we've got.

Message 32 of 38
cschick_old
Established Member

@SoCalBound wrote:

@CS800 wrote:

I would say in order of my point of view:

1. PenFed - 5% Gas

2. AMEX 1-2-3 - 3% Gas

3. BCE - 3% gas

If only the surrounding gas stations didnt charge more per gallon for the use of credit cards as opposed to cash....

I have question about pharmacies like Rite-Aid, CVS, Walgreens, under what catagory do they fall with Rewards cards.

CVS and Walgreens show up as general merchandise for my Discover card but when they have a drugstores rewards 5% they do end up counting into the bonus. I think drugstores are a big YMMV area, and generally end up in the bottom rewards tier.

FICO: Ex 782(AMEX)
Cards: Amex BCE(2500), Discover(2500), Target (500)
App'd Amex & Target Jul 2012, Gardening til 2013 or beyond
Goals: Visa or MC Rewards Card after first home (2014-2015)
Message 33 of 38
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Crashem,

I have the card I do not  the  catagories that limited. In the 2% your right there not that many.  Where the main difference is in the 5% you have two catagories your choice with a little planning you can do very well with this card.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 34 of 38
mistabgeez
New Contributor

@MrCredit wrote:

I like the Fidelity Investments Amex Card. 2% on everything. No limits. No annual fee. You can redeem when you reach $50.

It is issued by FIA.

I have seen this mentioned prior. Are there any other cards out there that are 2% on everything?

AMEX BCE $15,500 Citi Double Cash $8,700 USAA $6,000
Chase Freedom $2,500 Discover It $10,600
M & T Visa $2,500 CU Visa $10,000, BOAmericard $7,500
Message 35 of 38
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@mistabgeez wrote:

@MrCredit wrote:

I like the Fidelity Investments Amex Card. 2% on everything. No limits. No annual fee. You can redeem when you reach $50.

It is issued by FIA.

I have seen this mentioned prior. Are there any other cards out there that are 2% on everything?

Priceline Visa backed by Barclays.

Message 36 of 38
mistabgeez
New Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

@mistabgeez wrote:

@MrCredit wrote:

It is issued by FIA.

Priceline Visa backed by Barclays.

It appears that you can only get the cash back as a statement credit. Anyone aware of any cards that may issue cash back as a check?

AMEX BCE $15,500 Citi Double Cash $8,700 USAA $6,000
Chase Freedom $2,500 Discover It $10,600
M & T Visa $2,500 CU Visa $10,000, BOAmericard $7,500
Message 37 of 38
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@mistabgeez wrote:

It appears that you can only get the cash back as a statement credit. Anyone aware of any cards that may issue cash back as a check?

Statement credit = less money for payment = more money sitting in the savings account = having a check issued as cashback.

Message 38 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.