cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

POLL: WHICH IS BETTER........Discover More Rewards or Capital One Rewards?

tag

POLL: WHICH IS BETTER........Discover More Rewards or Capital One Rewards?

Just curious.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: POLL: WHICH IS BETTER........Discover More Rewards or Capital One Rewards?

Which Capital One rewards?

Message 2 of 8

Capital ones cash rewards. The commercial with the baby. I see you have Discover's IT card. Also, why'd you choose that card over the Discover More, if I may ask?
Message 3 of 8
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Between the tow I would take the Capital One Cash with the 1.5% cash back.   I had Discover More and switched to Discover Open Road.  At least with me their 5% catagories and my needs never seemed to match up most of time.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash+ 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 C State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Quorum FCU State Department FCU State Department FCU Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 4 of 8
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@I_SUFFER_FROM_FICO_ENVY wrote:
Capital ones cash rewards. The commercial with the baby. I see you have Discover's IT card. Also, why'd you choose that card over the Discover More, if I may ask?

Apple and orange, you can't really compare Cap 1 Cash and Discover More together. One is fixed cashback for all spending while the other is 5% rotating categories. There is no which one is better.

Discover it is really Discover More with UPS delivery and no penalty APR.

Message 5 of 8
asteroidblues86
Regular Contributor

Discover

Pros: 5% cash back rotating categories, 100% US based customer service, automatic credit line increases

Cons: .25% cash back until you spend $3,000 a year, always .25% at discount stores and warehouse clubs, not as widely accepted as MC/Visa

Capital One

Pros: 1% on everything, .5% annual bonus

Cons: outsourced customer service, credit line increases are rare, three hard pulls when applying

I choose Discover. Also both cards have no foreign transaction fees and Discover's online website has better tools.
Message 6 of 8
wealthcreator
Contributor

I have both cards and prefer using discover wherever accepted. I save a lot from 5% categories, they cover almost each and evrything in discover shop where you can get 5% from online shopping.

Walmart TU-724 on 12-2012
EX-707 on 08-2012
EQ-668on 08-2012
Changingmantra
Established Contributor

I have had both -  Cap 1 for 4 years and Discover for under a year - aside from rewards - Discover all the way for their better customer service.  I closed Cap 1 in the spring and do not regret it at all.   I like the shop Discover options with greater cashback rewards and those 5% cashback special categories.  I never thought those would add up, but they really do.

*Note to self* Remember why and for how long you had to rebuild in the first place! One Day at a Time, One Day at a Time!
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.