cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

POLL: Which cards do you keep with an AF and why?

tag
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

Re: POLL: Which cards do you keep with an AF and why?

Im keeping all my cards with AF.
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 11 of 49
HiLine
Blogger

So far I've found only the BCP worth an annual fee. With the Priceline and Fidelity cards offering 2% on everything, it requires a very high spending threshold to justify any annual fee, and of course you'd need a cash back or equivalent travel reward points ratio greater than 2%. 

For the sake of simplicty, let's assume you have a card that offers 2.5% on average such as the SPG. For each dollar spent, you'd earn a premium of 0.5% over the aforementioned cards. To offset the $65 annual fee, you'd need to spend $65/0.5% or $65x200=$13,000 per year on this card. And we're talking about the SPG. It'll be a lot more difficult to justify any other card. 

Message 12 of 49
bs6054
Valued Contributor

I had no problem with uncapped BCP having an AF, and I guess I am keeping it this year, but probably wouldn't bother to apply for it if I didn't have it.

Max grocery benefits are $360 per year, but the no AF BCE would give $180, so the benefit is $105 (360-180-75)   (I ignore other benefits as I use PenFed for gas and don't use department stores).  So $105 isn't nothing, but also not a source of great excitement.

The only other annual fee I pay is for my AA card, to protect the miles I have built up.  Might drop that soon as the $95 is hard to justify.

Message 13 of 49
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Two secured cards that make 1 yr in June. If they don't waive fee then ill drop.

NFCU flagship $49
Amex zync $25
Amex delta gold and BCP (can't remember the fees)

I plan on keeping these and maybe adding CSP and SPG. I spend about 3k personal plus work travel on cards per month.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 14 of 49
pdog661
Frequent Contributor

I have three with AF's:

AMEX BCP - $75.  I average 70-80 a month in reward dollars with this account.

AMEX Hilton Surpass - $75.  Going on a 2 week trip abroad next year, and like the higher point tiers.

AMEX Plat. - $450.00.  Currently under review.  I may down grade to the gold.  I am not sure I am seeing the benefits.

Message 15 of 49
FloridaState12
Established Contributor

The only AF card I have is my AMEX Zync. I only got it to get my foot in the door with AMEX, and the $25 is nothing for AMEX membership. I'll probably keep it open even though I won't be using it near as much simply because it's only $25 and my first AMEX. Smiley Happy

Photobucket
Message 16 of 49
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

AmEx Delta Platinum....more than makes up the fee.

Free companion air ticket every year. Flew my daughter free to New York with me in November.

Free checked bags

Airline miles...I only tapped into the airline miles one time this year, and that got me to Boston free. I have about 180k miles still sitting there, so have lots of free flying ahead of me.

I think the fee is $145, and I made that 6 or 7 times over this year alone...with lots more free flying to come.

Message 17 of 49
Epcot
Valued Contributor

I have a few with AF's. The ones at the top I love are:

Disney Premier Visa -$49 AF. I love Disney and spend quite a bit there, so the 2% rewards pays the AF many times over.

Amex Platinum -$450 AF. I travel. Alot. There are many perks of this card I use.

I have the Citi AAdvantage card with an annual fee of $85. It is my current oldest account as well as my highest limit.

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 18 of 49
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@Epcot wrote:
I have a few with AF's. The ones at the top I love are:

Disney Premier Visa -$49 AF. I love Disney and spend quite a bit there, so the 2% rewards pays the AF many times over.

Amex Platinum -$450 AF. I travel. Alot. There are many perks of this card I use.

I have the Citi AAdvantage card with an annual fee of $85. It is my current oldest account as well as my highest limit.

I guess on the first we still have to say "What about Fidelity Amex/Priceline Visa" which is 2% on all for free.  Or are there additional savings on the Disney card?

Your Citi AA is $85?   I think mine is $95.  Which one do you have?

Message 19 of 49
Epcot
Valued Contributor

There are other discounts the Disney card offers, such as 10% off merchandise purchases of $50 or more at Disney stores/parks. Free character meet/greet pictures. 20% off guided tours at Disney. Those are the benefits off the top of my head. I know there are more, like cool card designs. Smiley Wink

I have the Citi MC platinum and Citi Amex. I have had them for many years and when they raised the AF several years back I called and they waived it, then charged me the $85 every year thereafter, never the full amount. I don't know why and I never bothered asking. It was a great card that I used alot as the miles earned on the card counted toward your lifetime AA balance, now with the implementation of the Million Miler BIS only miles it has less appeal to me.

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 20 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.