Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PRG Question

tag
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

PRG Question

How to make PRG a credit card type of card?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: PRG Question

What do you mean?

Message 2 of 10
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Hi DA!

Amex won't PC a non-revolver to a revolver product unfortunately.  If you want a credit card with them... unfortunately you will have to apply

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@improvingmycredit wrote:

Hi DA!

Amex won't PC a non-revolver to a revolver product unfortunately.  If you want a credit card with them... unfortunately you will have to apply

+1

The PRG is a charge card and not a credit card. There is no credit card version of the PRG as it is only offered as a charge card. If you want to PC it to another Amex card, you can only PC it to an Amex charge card since Amex will not convert a charge card to a credit card or vice versa. 

Message 4 of 10
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

I meant something like setting a hard limit and paying over time on a charge card.
Message 5 of 10
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Amex offers pay over time features for their charge products but the feature has to be offered or you have to apply.  The interest rate is high, typically in the 18% range and only certain types of charges are eligible for revolving.  However, if your question pertains to an inability to pay the full amount due.. Call them and they will work out how to pay them back.  I'm not sure what the consequences of this inability to pay might be though. 😀

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't do it. Amex isn't meant to be used that way and if they do allow it they won't like it much. Pay the balance down,  and use something else if you need to carry a balance.

And really.. you ought not to carry a balance on a credit card! Maybe if you are taking advantage of one of those 0% deals with the funds to pay it back ready for when the grace period ends. But in general credit cards have spectacularly high interest rates and will destroy your finances if you let them run.

There's almost always a better way to borrow money than running up a card balance.

Message 7 of 10
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@improvingmycredit wrote:

Amex offers pay over time features for their charge products but the feature has to be offered or you have to apply.  The interest rate is high, typically in the 18% range and only certain types of charges are eligible for revolving.  However, if your question pertains to an inability to pay the full amount due.. Call them and they will work out how to pay them back.  I'm not sure what the consequences of this inability to pay might be though. 😀

+1.

OP, if I were you, if you can't pay, I'd BT the balance to a credit card.

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 8 of 10
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@DigitalArk wrote:
I meant something like setting a hard limit and paying over time on a charge card.

Why do you want to?  It seems like you're trying to use the wrong tool for the job.

Message 9 of 10
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Amex offers pay over time for "elligible' charges over $100 at an APR of 18.9%. 

Total ripoff to even activate unless you get one of the offers giving you MR points for enrolling in pay over time. 

BT it....Don't pay 18.9% on a balance. 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.