Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PRG Used For Fraudulent Charges

tag
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

PRG Used For Fraudulent Charges

Waiting for my beverage at Starbucks, I received an alert from Amex - 'card not present on my additional card member's account'. DD has had my card for years and rarely uses it because she has two Amex CCs herself.  

Charge was from LivingSocial and after verifying with her, I contacted Amex.  Apparently, there was a $1 charge from PayPal today -guess testing the account.  Amex is overnighting her replacement card and blocking the card from charges.  

I checked  her history and she has used the card 4 times this year and only once since September.  I have to assume our impromptu trip to Trader Joe's on Christmas Eve was the culprit; if I am wrong, I will apologize profusely.

Moral of the story, make sure you sign up for text /email alerts and monitor your accounts. 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: PRG Used For Fraudulent Charges

Ill certainly be watching. Thanks for sharing this. Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

That stinks, at least you caught it early. Any specific reason you think the Trader Joe's trip was the culprit? Just curious if there was some breach or something I didn't hear about. Trader Joe's was the first place I stopped when I got off the plane on Christmas Eve, needed to stock up on wine for family time...

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Love this feature with Amex cards. Wish all CC companies offered this kind of service.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mmm. Wine.

I went in and checked this as well since I went to TJs the other day and paid with an AMEX.. All quiet here.
Message 5 of 11
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

That stinks, at least you caught it early. Any specific reason you think the Trader Joe's trip was the culprit? Just curious if there was some breach or something I didn't hear about. Trader Joe's was the first place I stopped when I got off the plane on Christmas Eve, needed to stock up on wine for family time...

I can't be sure, she hasn't used her card since Sept and that was the only place it has been used.  This card isn't linked to any online shopping profiles because she has her own card.

Again, I am basing it purely on usage and her infrequent usage of the card. 

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a few charges I don't remember making over the holidays on my business rewards gold, but they are from bars in my hometown so I have a feeling they were really me. 

Message 7 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a few charges I don't remember making over the holidays on my business rewards gold, but they are from bars in my hometown so I have a feeling they were really me. 

And you never paid me back the $200 I lent you

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

LOL.Smiley Tongue

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hahaha LTL, the check is in the mail.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.