Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PSECU Balance Transfers

tag
Amnesia87
Contributor

PSECU Balance Transfers

Could anyone please explain to me a bit about how balance transfers work?

I was contemplating doing a transfer from my Amex to my PSECU Visa for the 2.9% rate. But I'm a bit confused about a few things. (I actually can afford to pay it down, but it would be a few days after my statement closes lol. I was also considering using it after I buy my TV so I could get all the benefits of purchasing an Amex, and still be able to pay it over a month or two)

Is doing a balance transfer the same basic thing as using cash advance/online bill pay?

Is it done electronically or check by mail?

Can Amex tell that it's a balance transfer? (don't wanna anger the FR gods)

Am I just better off doing a cash advance and paying like I normally would? (the 2.9% vs 9.9% would be nice just in case, but theoretically I'll be able to pay most if not all of it back off before the statement cuts anyway.)

Starting Score: EX FICO: Unknown EQ FICO: 717 TU (CreditKarma): 713
Current Score: EX FICO: 737 EQ FICO: 752 TU (CreditKarma): 717
Goal Score: EX FICO: 760 EQ FICO: 760 TU (CreditKarma): 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
DI
Super Contributor

Re: PSECU Balance Transfers

BT works by you requesting PSECU to pay off an account with some other bank.  They may charge a BT fee.  The balance that  PSECU pay off for you on another card is transferred to your PSECU acccount. 

Doing a BT is not the same as a cash advance.  Cash advances have a higher APR rate.  With BT, the bank or CU may offer you 0% APR for so many months.  Unlike a BT,  interest is accrued when the cash advances request is processed. 

You have the optiom to  request a BT electronically or by mail.  It depends on the technology the bank or CU uses.  Moreover, all BT request payments are not sent electronically.  Sometimes a check will have to be mailed  to the bank  you're transferring funds to. 

AMEX can only see the possibilty that you're switching credit around rather than paying things off. 

You're better off doing the BT rather than cash advance.  Cash advance will cost you more.

I hope I was able to answer all your questions. 

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: PSECU Balance Transfers

@DI wrote:

BT works by you requesting PSECU to pay off an account with some other bank.  They may charge a BT fee.  The balance that  PSECU pay off for you on another card is transferred to your PSECU acccount. 

Doing a BT is not the same as a cash advance.  Cash advances have a higher APR rate.  With BT, the bank or CU may offer you 0% APR for so many months.  Unlike a BT,  interest is accrued when the cash advances request is processed. 

You have the optiom to  request a BT electronically or by mail.  It depends on the technology the bank or CU uses.  Moreover, all BT request payments are not sent electronically.  Sometimes a check will have to be mailed  to the bank  you're transferring funds to. 

AMEX can only see the possibilty that you're switching credit around rather than paying things off. 

You're better off doing the BT rather than cash advance.  Cash advance will cost you more.

I hope I was able to answer all your questions. 

+1 on all that good information.  Only one minor note, as some (many... all of mine) banks treat a BT as a cash advance with respect to interest accruing from the day of the transfer (there is no grace period).  Check the verbiage on the offer to make sure.  (It doesn't make a HUGE difference in terms of actual $$ interest in the big picture, but worth noting, I think).

Oh, one other thing... Never count on a bank to process a BT quickly... you should never use it to try to make a payment before a due date, or expect it to post/clear prior to another statement closing (PSECU is especially slow, as they process (IME) all transfers via check/snail mail.  Took an average of 7-10 days to clear my other banks).

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.