Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PSECU - Membership cancelled :(

tag
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: PSECU - Membership cancelled :(

In that case, I agree with you that this is nonsense.  Sorry for any assumptions.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 31 of 40
bbrannan
Regular Contributor

FWIW, I called PSECU directly about a month and a half ago and point blank asked if I would be eligible to join whether it be through an affiliate program or otherwise. The rep politely informed me that no - that regardless of employment and affiliation, I have to be a PA resident. Otherwise, I was not eligible. Pretty much the answer that I expected. Anyway - it was a good try, Duncanrr! It was worth a shot!

Cards: AMEX Zync NPSL, AMEX BCE, NFCU LOC $15K, NFCU Visa Signature cashRewards $14K, NFCU Flagship Visa Signature $14K, USAA Platinum M/C $3.5K, USAA AMEX $2K, Capital One Cash Rewards $3.5K, WalMart $10K, Lowes $10K, Home Depot $8250, Amazon $4K, Discover IT $1K

Starting Score: EX: 570 EQ: 520 TU 602
Current Score: AMEX EX:717 MyFico EQ 688 Walmart TU 749 MyFico TU 740
Goal Score: 750+ across the board

Message 32 of 40
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:

In that case, I agree with you that this is nonsense.  Sorry for any assumptions.

No problem.  We are all here for each other.  The days of me doing something financially (even $75) without doing my research are behind me Smiley Happy

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Message 33 of 40
gettnthere
Established Contributor

@Duncanrr wrote:

@Walt_K wrote:

@Duncanrr wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:
IMO, its worthless to fight it. Your going to have a relationship with a bank that pretty much knows you started a whole bunch of problems to get in. They want PA residents, and that's that unfortunately.

I know.  Its the principle of the thing now.  Cat Mad

What principle?  This whole thing started out of a discussion as to whether someone had found a loophole to get in.  It's hard to say that it's clear cut that you should be able to get in this way when everyone was skeptical from the beginning.  Did anyone call PSECU and ask whether they'd be able to get in before spending the $75 for the application fee?  It would be one thing if a rep said yes, and you went and signed up for the organization that would give you eligibility and then were also out the $75 for the application.  But to know that membership has generally been closed to out of state residents and then to comb through their website to see if you can find a loophole, not ask them about it before submitting an app, and then get indignant about being denied, what principle is at play?  This seems like a big waste of time to me.

Yes, on 9/26 around roughly 6:00 pm central time I called PSECU and spoke with Emilie, a lovely PSECU CSR.  I told her exactly what I was doing and why and she put me on hold and confirmed with manager that me being out of state wasnt an issue.  I did this prior to spending the $75 on 6/27 around roughly 10:00 am central time.

I can back Duncanrr up 100% on this. BEFORE I ever paid the $75, I called PSECU and I also spoke to Emily, who claimed that me being out-of-state would not cause me to be rejected. I also called twice more and spoke with Jen and Sandy who said the same as Emily. All they said is that they would be asking for proof upfront of my membership with the qualifying organization and if I could provide that, all would be good. I made it a point to call 3 times and spoke to 3 different reps who all claimed the same thing. When I very first applied my app status said "approved pending" and then went to "Referred". I called in again and all they wanted was ID verifying who I was. I sent that and then 4 days went by and today I get a notification that my app had been cancelled. I never would have just up and paid $75 for a blind shot in the dark without verifying the information first. It just seems now they don't want to honor what they had originally stated, which bothers me. When I called them this last time the rep said they had "reviewed" their contract with PASEO and made "recent" changes to stipulate that you had to be in-state. She would NOT elaborate on how recent "Recent" meant and Absolutely refused to provide me with such proof, other than her mere words. Im honestly not the type to cause problems, IM very polite and respectful, but I think they are being very unethical here.

Starting Score: EQ 609, EX 633(Fako), TU 700
Current Score: EQ 699, EX 758, TU 733
Goal Score: 720 across the board
Garden Club Member-GC Challenge: App free since 10/31/12 Smiley Wink
Message 34 of 40
TATATA
Regular Contributor

Duncanrr - I would definitely put up a fight. They SHOULD refund the $75 you spent to join (given the fact that you were given erroneous information by their reps). You should write a complaint to the board of directors - directly. Also, I believe you can file a complaint with NCUA. Good luck! 

Total CL's combine: $150,600.
Message 35 of 40
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@gettnthere wrote:

@Duncanrr wrote:

@Walt_K wrote:

@Duncanrr wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:
IMO, its worthless to fight it. Your going to have a relationship with a bank that pretty much knows you started a whole bunch of problems to get in. They want PA residents, and that's that unfortunately.

I know.  Its the principle of the thing now.  Cat Mad

What principle?  This whole thing started out of a discussion as to whether someone had found a loophole to get in.  It's hard to say that it's clear cut that you should be able to get in this way when everyone was skeptical from the beginning.  Did anyone call PSECU and ask whether they'd be able to get in before spending the $75 for the application fee?  It would be one thing if a rep said yes, and you went and signed up for the organization that would give you eligibility and then were also out the $75 for the application.  But to know that membership has generally been closed to out of state residents and then to comb through their website to see if you can find a loophole, not ask them about it before submitting an app, and then get indignant about being denied, what principle is at play?  This seems like a big waste of time to me.

Yes, on 9/26 around roughly 6:00 pm central time I called PSECU and spoke with Emilie, a lovely PSECU CSR.  I told her exactly what I was doing and why and she put me on hold and confirmed with manager that me being out of state wasnt an issue.  I did this prior to spending the $75 on 6/27 around roughly 10:00 am central time.

I can back Duncanrr up 100% on this. BEFORE I ever paid the $75, I called PSECU and I also spoke to Emily, who claimed that me being out-of-state would not cause me to be rejected. I also called twice more and spoke with Jen and Sandy who said the same as Emily. All they said is that they would be asking for proof upfront of my membership with the qualifying organization and if I could provide that, all would be good. I made it a point to call 3 times and spoke to 3 different reps who all claimed the same thing. When I very first applied my app status said "approved pending" and then went to "Referred". I called in again and all they wanted was ID verifying who I was. I sent that and then 4 days went by and today I get a notification that my app had been cancelled. I never would have just up and paid $75 for a blind shot in the dark without verifying the information first. It just seems now they don't want to honor what they had originally stated, which bothers me. When I called them this last time the rep said they had "reviewed" their contract with PASEO and made "recent" changes to stipulate that you had to be in-state. She would NOT elaborate on how recent "Recent" meant and Absolutely refused to provide me with such proof, other than her mere words. Im honestly not the type to cause problems, IM very polite and respectful, but I think they are being very unethical here.

It sounds like they just closed another loophole -- but without letting anyone in this time. Last time, I apped the night they changed their criteria for Parks members and they denied my app. I do wish I had a relative in PA!

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 36 of 40
bobebob
Frequent Contributor

I know it wouldn't be entirely above board, but is using a friends address in PA to get the initial account and changing address later good enough to get in?

bobebob || Nov: My FICO SW EQ(Upgraded Version) = 822 ||Sept: Walmart TU Fico=838Goal = FICO's>800 || In my wallet: CostcoAmEx(20k), DCU Visa Platinum (10k), BoA Visa Signature (17.1k), Walmart Discover (7.5k), AmEx Corporate (5k). All PIF every month.
Message 37 of 40
Smug
Established Contributor

I'm really happy that I applied last year because I'm living in Florida. I was going to wait to 2014 when all my credit reports were clear but happy I ended up doing it like I did, Sorry you couldn't get in. It really is a great credit union. I also have Navy Federal credit Union ,Alliant and PenFed which are all great credit unions
Experian® 808/Equifax® ?/TransUnion® 810
Baddies Experian® clean/Equifax® 1/TransUnion® Clean
Last CLI 6-13-2013
Total Credit $121,190.00
Goal 780!
Message 38 of 40
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@TATATA wrote:

Duncanrr - I would definitely put up a fight. They SHOULD refund the $75 you spent to join (given the fact that you were given erroneous information by their reps). You should write a complaint to the board of directors - directly. Also, I believe you can file a complaint with NCUA. Good luck! 

I would ask the organisation for a refund, not the credit union. Unless s/he signed up at the suggestion of a credit union employee, the credit union had nothing to do with it.

I looked over their website and nothing seemed to stand out to me. Is there something I am missing that would cause someone to spend $75 to join this place? I don't even like the $5 to join a credit union.

Message 39 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@navigatethis12 wrote:

@TATATA wrote:

I would ask the organisation for a refund, not the credit union. Unless s/he signed up at the suggestion of a credit union employee, the credit union had nothing to do with it.

I looked over their website and nothing seemed to stand out to me. Is there something I am missing that would cause someone to spend $75 to join this place? I don't even like the $5 to join a credit union.

It does not "cost" $5 to join the CU. You just have to keep 1 savings share active in order to maintain membership and have access to all the CU offers. Closing your account with the CU will get your $5 back.

IMO, a $5 hold is worth all of the great benifits of a CU considering many banks (both local and big) these days are charging people monthly fees with checking accounts who keep low balances unless you meet stipulations like DD your paycheck or swipe your debit card so many times. While not all CU's memberships are the same, PSECU is one of the better ones which is why many people want access to it. I have access to cheap auto loan rates (if I cannot find better), a nice sized Visa CL, and access to my monthly EX Fico score all for allowing the CU to hold onto $5. Since I started watching this board almost 2 years ago, a PSECU membership is a valuable one and some are willing to spend $75 once just to get it.

Message 40 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.