PSECU Question for txjohn!

tag
wajj
Contributor

Re: PSECU Question for txjohn!

@wndrwmn78 wrote:

@wajj wrote:

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

Is the membership EX hard pull good for an app or do you get harded again when you app?, and

Following txjohn's example, I managed to get my eligibility set up and joined.  Got a hard pull on EX for the membership.  Once I finally received my membeship documents (took about 10 days), I applied for a Visa (and was approved for $10K).  That was a second hard pull.  I'm waiting to receive and activate the card before I decide if I want to go for a PSL on top of it -- my EX report is pretty much destroyed (15 INQs, 13 in the last 6 months, and 12 new accounts all under 6 months old).  If they will use the same pull, great.  If not, then we'll see.

What are your EFX and TU scores like? Do they have a lot fewer inquiries than EXP? I'm just wondering to get an idea of what your EXP score may be like, with the new accounts and inquiries.

And I agree - one more inquiry won't hurt at this point...at least they'll all fall off around the same time! Smiley Happy

EFX -- 738 with 12 INQs

TU -- 707 with 2 INQs

The fact that they will all fall off at the same time and that I now have this large "mass" of credit slowly building up my AAoA does make me feel good Smiley Happy  Now I just need to convince myself to lay off the applications for oh, say 2 years Smiley Very Happy

Message 21 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@wajj wrote:

Is the membership EX hard pull good for an app or do you get harded again when you app?, and

Following txjohn's example, I managed to get my eligibility set up and joined.  Got a hard pull on EX for the membership.  Once I finally received my membeship documents (took about 10 days), I applied for a Visa (and was approved for $10K).  That was a second hard pull.  I'm waiting to receive and activate the card before I decide if I want to go for a PSL on top of it -- my EX report is pretty much destroyed (15 INQs, 13 in the last 6 months, and 12 new accounts all under 6 months old).  If they will use the same pull, great.  If not, then we'll see.

With that many inq's, what's one more gonna hurt?  LOL.  You might as well get that inq (if you have to take the hit) aging along side the other.  But that's just MO Smiley Happy

The fact that they approved you for $10k with that many inq's and new accounts just goes to support my theory that PSECU is generous and lenient when it comes to credit.

I would agree.

txjohn - Did you see my question regarding whether you had received a post membership pre-app from them for a CC? I though you had, or maybe there is too much floride in the water down here. Also, how many hard INQ's have you gotten from them and when? I am trying to manage my EX INQ's carefully - they are low enough that it does matter. (3 showing, 1 counts)

wajj - What was your EX FICO at the time of your CC app?

Yes, I did receive a "pre-qualified" letter from them stating I was pre-qualified for the Visa at $10,000.  However, I did not send that form back in.  I just went online and applied normal.  When I upgraded to the PSL/Visa, I did that online as well.

I would never have applied had they not sent me the pre-qual letter.  I had enough inquiries and new accounts that I didn't figure I could get another account.  But when they sent that, I just had to try....and voila, another $20,000 that reports as $40,000 (end result).  Though after that I ended up getting USAA AMEX and MC as well as Chase Health Avance (like CareCredit).

I received 3 EX hard inq's from PSECU.  1 for membership.  1 for original Visa app.  1 for the upgrade CL and PSL combo.  I'm not as bad and concorduser (he had like 40 somthing, LOL)  but I have about 15 now with 6 to drop in the next 4 to 6 months.  All the rest are recent and need to age a good while.

Message 22 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

CWCID,

They softed my EQ but hard pulled EX. Their CC is a good card and like txjohn mentioned, their auto loans are good rates. I am thinking about doing what txjohn mentioned - the half loc half visa resulting into two accounts and two seperate TL's. They are a little slow right now since colleges have started so they are VERY backed up with membership and CC apps.

Membership will take 2 weeks...or 3.  But once that is done, loans are usually turned around in a few hours to a day at most.

I haven't noticed any soft on my EQ, but hey that would only help me since EX is my worst.

Hi guys, quick question about PSECU: 

If membership takes 2-3 weeks,do they pull your report (hard inquiry) right when you apply? or do they pull it 2-3 weeks from application?

And does membership take so long because of mailing items back and forth?

Message 23 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Membership is not an automated process.  You apply online, but it goes to membership committee.  They are the largest CU in PA, so they have quite a bit going on.  I think that it just takes that long because they don't have an auto streamlined process.

Once a member, CC's and loans generally get done in a day or two at most.

Message 24 of 40
DI
Super Contributor

I want to become a member of PSECU.  How can I make it happen?
Message 25 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DI wrote:

Begin member app process....almost immediately you will presented with eligibility options.  If you find one...continue forward, if not then hit CANCEL and it never processes and there is no pull on CR.

Message 26 of 40
DI
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@DI wrote:

Begin member app process....almost immediately you will presented with eligibility options.  If you find one...continue forward, if not then hit CANCEL and it never processes and there is no pull on CR.

I don't meet any of the eligibility offers that I typed in.  I didn't see a full list. 

Message 27 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not sure if they have changed the app since I did it, but when I did, it presented options that listed eligible schools, family relations, employment, etc.  If that has changed, I'm not sure.

If you have a family member who ever attended a qualifying school, that qualifies you.  The family member does NOT have to join.  They just have to be eligible.  If they are eligible, then you are.

My sister had attended one of the qualifying schools for a year (did not graduate from).  Her attendance for that one year got me in.  She is not a member, but her eligibility made me eligible.

Now that I am a member, my family is eligible through me.

Message 28 of 40
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

The allowable relation list is very narrow. No cousins or nieces.

If you don't have a close familiar connection to Pennsylvania PSECU is pretty much impossible to join.
Message 29 of 40
wajj
Contributor

Add to that the fact that none of the associations seem to allow members to join -- only employees.  I did see one thread somewhere about joining the Pennsylvania Psychological Association or some such for $99 and you would get membership but, since I attended Indiana University of PA for one summer, I qualifed without resorting to that so I don't know how sucessful that approach would be.
Message 30 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.