cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid Amex back decade old debt...now What to expect?

tag
codesingh
Regular Contributor

Paid Amex back decade old debt...now What to expect?

Hello All,

First offf, thanks to a few of you on this forum who helped me out with suggestions about Amex. I was dreading even talking about my back debt with amex but I was able to gather some courage and finally paid off the back debt to my decade old amex account. The account was chaged off. I still have the card, so after paying off I called the number on the back of the card and guess what amex's automated system still was able to retrive my account and update me with the new payment. It says my balance now is zero. I am looking forward to a confirmation from them in snail-mail or email, I'll see that soon, hopefully!

Now, I do want to own a new account with amex, also hoping my membership since will show "...since 2003".

How do I proceed? Should I write a goodwill letter? What can I now ask them? I am hoping now I am in their good graces afrer a long time. I just want to know what on my part would be a good move? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Please feel free to PM me if you that works.

Thanks in advance,

code

~ 100k in Rev CC. 15k Credit Line. 16.5k Car Loan(@1.7%) Starting scores: 690 EQ (Dec 2012) Mid-year FICO scores April ‘13 Pulled by lenders(Barclays, Amex): TU 747 • EQ 752 • EX 746 • Scores As of Nov 2013: 740 and above across the board.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Lightdog555
New Contributor

Re: Paid Amex back decade old debt...now What to expect?

What does your credit look like now? If its bad try and get the oasis card. Best bet would have been to secure that before payment but look at the back door numbers for their number. I have been on oasis since jan of 2012 and I got my account back dated to 2000 and my score is creeping up. Good luck on getting a new card!
Message 2 of 7
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

I second the Oasis program, if available. It was offered to me a couple of weeks ago, and I jumped at the chance. I'm in the process of rebuilding due to a job loss back in 2011, and the backdated history would help a lot. Hopefully the Oasis program application shows up in my mailbox within the next week.

PS - Any of the old crew still here? Cheddar, Hauling, Illecs, Noah?

Here we go again...
Message 3 of 7
Pastryprincessnails
Regular Contributor

What is the oasis program? I would love to have an Amex card too as I had an issue with them before also that was paid in full...
NFCU $17k Amex Gold Jared $3k PC Richards $1500 Discover IT $1800 NYCO $3k BOFA $4500 Macys $2400 Credit One $1450 Victorias Secret $2950 Walmart $4k Target $800 Capital One $1850 JCrew $8700 Paypal $600 Best Buy Mastercard $1500 Barclays $1430 Amazon Store Card $480 Amazon Visa $4k The Limited $1050 Old Navy $5k Overstock $1150 Citibank Dc $1700 Raymour and Flanigan $2500 Chase Freedom $1k Chase Slate $3200
Message 4 of 7
westcoastpirate
Contributor

I had a CO from 2001. I called the EO, and asked for the balance and where to send the check. About a week after I mailed the check I called the EO again to confirm the account was PIF. About a week later I pulled the double browser trick and app'd for the Green and BCE at the same time and was approved for both. Now, the CO was less than $500, and my report was pretty much clear from baddies, so YMMV.
Message 5 of 7
boomhower
Valued Contributor

@Pastryprincessnails wrote:
What is the oasis program? I would love to have an Amex card too as I had an issue with them before also that was paid in full...

It's a way back into Amex.  It was designed for folks who have had bad debt with Amex in the past to get back into their good graces.  It's a more limited card than traditional Amex's.

OP:  If your credit is now solid, I'd skip the Oasis and just app for a regular card.  But if your credit is a bit shakey I'd app for the Oasis if the app shows up.  If I'm not mistaken Oasis is invite only and you can't app for it.

Message 6 of 7
codesingh
Regular Contributor

My CO was $2100 from 2005. Feels great to have paid it off finally with one check. The automated system has been reflecting my payment in full as well.

I probably don't want the oasis card. I had a good history with amex in past from 2003 to 2005 wonder if that's any worth?

~ 100k in Rev CC. 15k Credit Line. 16.5k Car Loan(@1.7%) Starting scores: 690 EQ (Dec 2012) Mid-year FICO scores April ‘13 Pulled by lenders(Barclays, Amex): TU 747 • EQ 752 • EX 746 • Scores As of Nov 2013: 740 and above across the board.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.