cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid my Macy's 5 days late in error, charged 25 fee…….

tag
randeman
Frequent Contributor

Re: Paid my Macy's 5 days late in error, charged 25 fee…….

Save yourself some grief and anxiety by setting up automatic payments through your bank or Macy's.  Set it up for the minimum payment and if you pay more than the minimum watch your account and adjust the payment accordingly.  That way, should you forget to make the payment, it will be done automatically for you.  I set the calendar on my phone to remind me to check the day before the payment goes out.

Experian Score: 689--Amex 27 July 2014; Equifax Score 680--MyFICO--17 September 2014; TransUnion Score 718-Discover 20 August 2014--PUH-RAISE JESUS, I finally broke 700!!! Cards and Credit Lines: Escape by Discover, Chase Freedom Signature Visa, Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Signature Visa, Chase Sapphire Preferred Signature Visa, Barclay's Holland America Visa, Citibank Custom Credit Line, Paypal Custom Connect Credit Line, Bloomingdale's, Macy's Premier Elite, Amazon Store Card, Lord & Taylor, Nordstrom, Discover It, Gold Delta SkyMiles from American Express, PayPal BML.
Message 11 of 19
RushXTC
Established Contributor

@NikoD wrote:

I believe it has to be at least 30 days late for them to report it as such.

Yep, 30 days or more for them to report it. Any less than 30 days and it's just the fee! Smiley Happy!!

Message 12 of 19
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@randeman wrote:

Save yourself some grief and anxiety by setting up automatic payments through your bank or Macy's.  Set it up for the minimum payment and if you pay more than the minimum watch your account and adjust the payment accordingly.  That way, should you forget to make the payment, it will be done automatically for you.  I set the calendar on my phone to remind me to check the day before the payment goes out.

Or, if you always PIF, set it up for statement balance.

Randeman's way avoids late fees and penalty rates.  Setting it to statement balance also avoids potential interest charges.   But of course if you sometimes cannot pay in full, don't do this, as you will then get charges from your bank!

Message 13 of 19
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

If you don't have money in your account while auto payment kicks in, you'll be charged return payment fee + penalty APR.

Message 14 of 19
randeman
Frequent Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

If you don't have money in your account while auto payment kicks in, you'll be charged return payment fee + penalty APR.

That's partly why I very rarely set it up for the merchant to deduct the payment rather than having my bank send it.  Nowadays, with few exceptions, most banks send credit payments via ACH so usually the cc company has credited my account in two business days.  It also allows me to look at my checking account and know what payments are about to go out.  That helps me to budget and plan my expenses.  I have overdraft protection if for some reason I do have the merchant deduct the payment and there aren't funds to cover it.

Frankly, unless you live above your means or just can't follow even the most liberal budget, there is never any reason to miss a payment or be late with one with automatic payments from your checking account.

Experian Score: 689--Amex 27 July 2014; Equifax Score 680--MyFICO--17 September 2014; TransUnion Score 718-Discover 20 August 2014--PUH-RAISE JESUS, I finally broke 700!!! Cards and Credit Lines: Escape by Discover, Chase Freedom Signature Visa, Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Signature Visa, Chase Sapphire Preferred Signature Visa, Barclay's Holland America Visa, Citibank Custom Credit Line, Paypal Custom Connect Credit Line, Bloomingdale's, Macy's Premier Elite, Amazon Store Card, Lord & Taylor, Nordstrom, Discover It, Gold Delta SkyMiles from American Express, PayPal BML.
Message 15 of 19
peaceonearth
Established Contributor

@Aleecat wrote:

Hello,

I paid my Macy's 5 days late. Was due on 5/27 and paid in full on 5/31. Will they report this to my credit bureau as a 30 day late? Please help. I screwed up ! ;( Am afraid will ruin my credit score which is in the 780's.

You should not be reported as 30 days late.

Call Macy's CS and talk to them nicely, explain to them your sutuation! they may wave the late fee for you.

Did you pay before or after the Statement Closing Date?

Message 16 of 19
creditguy-378
Regular Contributor

I have paid my macys 1 DAY LATE and they reported me as 30 days late they did refund my 25 late fee as they said they would do as a 1 time courtesy but wouldn't take the 30day off my report gave me some spiel that they have to report right and they are ethically bound to report lates even 1 day as they believe that is part of the credit problem in America everyone not reporting correctly I was like omg are you serious and hung up and promptly disputed it not only did it come back verified accurate that decided to post my account on the other 2 cb since I disputed  

always use credit wisely and you won't ever feel like you're working just for the task master
Message 17 of 19
Aleecat
New Contributor

Wow 

That's Horrible and goes aganst everything people have stated above ! Was this recent? If so I am very nervous all over again.....

@creditguy-378 wrote:

I have paid my macys 1 DAY LATE and they reported me as 30 days late they did refund my 25 late fee as they said they would do as a 1 time courtesy but wouldn't take the 30day off my report gave me some spiel that they have to report right and they are ethically bound to report lates even 1 day as they believe that is part of the credit problem in America everyone not reporting correctly I was like omg are you serious and hung up and promptly disputed it not only did it come back verified accurate that decided to post my account on the other 2 cb since I disputed  

Message 18 of 19
Aleecat
New Contributor

Update: Macy's removed fee and did nor report the late fee to the credit bureau Smiley Happy !!!!! Cat Very Happy

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.