cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid off All CC debt last week, how long for it to show up on CR?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paid off All CC debt last week, how long for it to show up on CR?

I have about 5 credits card that I had a revolving balance over the years. The only card I was good at paying off every month and building my credit up with was my Costco Amex. I finally used my recent bonus and a raise to pay off all my credit card debt I have accumulated since college 5 years ago (I was just paying about the minimum or a little more if I made a big purchase every month and paying a lot of interest). All the cards are at 0 balance as of 1/22/15. I checked all 3 reporting agencies and most of the balances are still showing and my credit score has not improve by much. 

Do you know how long it will take for the balance to say 0 on the reports after you have paid it off? I do plan to still utilize all the cards and pay them off every month so they don't sit there showing no activity. At first I wanted to close a few cards as I feel overwhelmed with so many cards opened, but all the ones I would close have no AF and I have the longest history with. I was advised to keep them open and just keep them active with purchases and pay them off. 

Btw, yes I signed up for a Visa Black Card, and I have been a long time lurker on here (I greatly appreciate everyone's knowledge)...I know to many it is a joke of a card , but I weighed my needs and what I wanted out of it as I travel internationally alot and I like their low min bonus offer. I got the Black Card AF waived the first year so I am ok with choosing it over Amex Plat (not sure if I would even qualify right now) to try it out.  I didn't get approved for Chase Ink or SP...but will try to ask for a reconsideration and product change when my Experian scores improve.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paid off All CC debt last week, how long for it to show up on CR?

Your credit reports will update shortly after each credit card statement cuts on the cards you paid off. 

Edited to add: You should leave something on one of your cards, between 1-9% utilization on one card if you are interested in seeing the maximum point jump in your scores. Paying all of your cards to a 0 balance may hinder a little bit of score jump. You very well may already know this, just thought I would throw it out there.

Message 2 of 9
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Didn't read the whole thread just title and skimmed it, but typically two to two to three days after statement cuts for it to report to bureaus.

Message 3 of 9
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Your credit reports will update shortly after each credit card statement cuts on the cards you paid off. 

Damn beat me to it, some times I wonder why I reply lol as someone gets to the punch quickerSmiley Happy

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Damn beat me to it, some times I wonder why I reply lol as someone gets to the punch quickerSmiley Happy

Haha, that happens to me all the time!

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

fantastic! Looking forward to the statements coming out the next few weeks then. 

Yes, I will try to keep a 10% revolving balance on at least two cards. Seems counterintuitive almost since seeing a 0 balance after all these years feels so good, but I understand that creditors want to see some credit actually being utilized. 

Message 6 of 9
bch238
Regular Contributor

Your Chase account will report within 2-3 days of being paid to zero becuase Chase always reports when the balance is paid off..  The others within a few days of the statement.

FICO Scores (MARCH 2016): EQ 829; EX 825; TU 828
AmEx BCP $25,000; AmEx Platinum (NPSL); Barclaycard JetBlue Rewards $5,000; Bank of America Cash Rewards $27,500; Chase Sapphire Preferred $33,700; Chase Marriott Rewards Premier $15,000; Chase Freedom $12,000; Citi Prestige $30,500; Virgin America Premium $25,000; The Home Depot Card $20,500; Capital One Platinum $15,000
Message 7 of 9
noobody
Established Contributor

I doubt it is 0 balance all the way since you could have some residue interest left if you were not PIF on previous month.
EX819 1HP|TU797 1HP| EQ(Fico8 BankCard)841
Message 8 of 9
scorewatcher7
Valued Member

congrats on Visa Black. it has its purpose. As for your update questions, it'll update when your statements for each card closes- typically about 5 days after the payment due date. The only one I know of that updates sooner is Chase Sapphire.  They'll update once you pay it off. 

Hope this helps. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.