Congrats on the pay-offs.....!!!

*8/10/13
Message 21 of 23
ihatemyscore
Frequent Contributor

Re: Paid off all cards. wow.

Okay,

Let me answer everyones questions.

J_casteel , I only made 22k last year. I am a single father; as well as a full-time employee/student. That is why my refund was so big; I claimed S-1 the whole year.

I have a couple questions on how to fill out my W4 properly if anyone might be able to advise me? I don't really have any assets; I have a daughter and goto school. I expect to make 40-60k this year.

Please let me know what my IRS withholdings should be? Also yes! Those balance will stay at 0 for now!

Also I am canceling FP as soon as that payment hits! Whats the best way to cancel a card?

BK: 7 filed 3/31/12 - Discharged 6/27/12
Made some poor choices and life snowballed
BK: 13 filed 7/29/16 - on a 36th month time out
No CC - No Loans - Student Loans all current.
Message 22 of 23
Pilotdude
Established Contributor

Re: Paid off all cards. wow.

@ihatemyscore wrote:

Okay,

Let me answer everyones questions.

J_casteel , I only made 22k last year. I am a single father; as well as a full-time employee/student. That is why my refund was so big; I claimed S-1 the whole year.

I have a couple questions on how to fill out my W4 properly if anyone might be able to advise me? I don't really have any assets; I have a daughter and goto school. I expect to make 40-60k this year.

Please let me know what my IRS withholdings should be? Also yes! Those balance will stay at 0 for now!

Also I am canceling FP as soon as that payment hits! Whats the best way to cancel a card?

First of all Congrats on your successes!!!  Thats awesome!!

As far as the correct withholding goes, since its tax season and HR block will take a second look for free....take your stuff in and let them take a second look and then while there ask them.  hehe.   I don't know what your withholding should be and I sure do not want to suggest anything that might be wrong for your situation.  Its worth a call or visit to HR block or even a CPA and anyone reputable should be able to answer that for you for free.

Cancelling FP;  This one is fragile and should be handled with care.  I have heard multiple times of FR not actually cancelling folks accounts until after they had managed to charge them extra fees and such.  FP is a den of scum suckers in my book.   Their fees and interest rates are designed to be just below the federal predatory lending threshold and most times they do more damage then they do good for people.   I know they give credit to folks who can't get it elsewhere but I cannot endorse the manner in which they make a profit. 

Cancelling their accounts is something that you should do in a manner which leaves you with documentation of your request to cancel and the precise date of which you made the request. 

Chance favors the prepared mind.  So  cancel in writing via certified return requested mail and by phone is what I would do.  Keep a copy of everything and watch all three bureaus until you have written confirmation that the account is indeed cancelled.

Keep any and all documentation supporting the cancellation in a file til the next ice age so if they try some BS, you can clobber them with the bureaus.

Its worth the few extra bucks imo to be thorough with FP. Smiley Happy

My two pennies.

NFCU #1 Fan!! NO MOAR APPS TIL 10/13 Minimum!!
TU -746, EX - 721, EQ -745
Cards:NFCU Flag Visa Sig $10000, CSP $8500, AMEX BCP $2000 Freedom $3500, Disc IT $5000, Cap 1 Green $2100, Credit 1 CLOSED! AU on Amex Green, Discover $2000, Cap One Plat $1000
Message 23 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.