Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid off credit cards

tag
tayjoemom2628
Valued Member

Paid off credit cards

I just recently paid off my credit cards. How long would it take my score to improve? Also how often do I have to use them so the companys wont close them for non usage?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Re: Paid off credit cards

@tayjoemom2628 wrote:

I just recently paid off my credit cards. How long would it take my score to improve? Also how often do I have to use them so the companys wont close them for non usage?

Your score will improve whenever the cards report the updated balances, assuming you mean improve due to reduced utilization.  That will depend on each company, some are quick after the statement cuts, some lag a couple weeks, and some simply report whatever the balance is on the last day of the month.  Every company is different.  For the highest score you actually want one card to report a small <9% balance.  As far as how often you have to use them, again it will vary from company to company.  Just buy a coke or a pack of gum once every three months or so and you should be fine.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.