Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paring down cards, decisions to make

tag
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

Paring down cards, decisions to make

The demise of my Barclay SM card has me reexamining my card lineup and trying to make some decisions about what to keep and what to let go.

Currently I have the following:

AmEx BCP

Am Ex Delta Gold

Barclay Arrival+

Barclay SM

Chase Disney

CSP

Citi DC

Target store card

I plan to keep the Target store card, the BCP (for grocery and gas spend), the Citi DC (for general spend), and the Chase Disney card until I can use the accumulated rewards dollars - thankfully the card has no annual fee, so I just have a few small recurring charges placed on it to keep it active.

I am planning to close the Barclay cards entirely. The replacement for the SM is of no use to me, and the A+ has not worked out to be worthwhile. I think I'd be better off putting general spend on the Citi DC card and doing away with the annual fee. Also plan to close the AmEx Delta card, as it's really not providing anything for the significant annual fee (I used to have the Platinum but downgraded as two years in a row we weren't going to be able to use the companion cert).

The CSP is also seriously in question, given what I'm running through it, and here is where I need a bit of help. I need a long-term VISA card for Costco spending and the like. Could I (and should I) try to PC the CSP to something like Freedom Unlimited? I know it's lower cash-back than DC, but I need a VISA card and would just run Costco stuff through it. I don't think it has an AF, so I'd be set long term with that.

What do you think of this plan? Suggestions for other cards that might serve my needs better?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Paring down cards, decisions to make

The DC is a good option for a general use card. Then you have groceries and gas covered with BCP. There's not a lot of wonderful restaurant cards out there right now, and it's unlikely it's worth getting a 3 percent dining card if you value simplicity since you already get 2 percent on everything with the double cash.

The arrival is a great card for a bonus but the fee makes sense for almost no one to pay in the wake of free alternatives.

I think your bases will be covered fine with your proposed changes.

Downgrading to an FU from a CSP makes sense so you have a no fee Visa for Costco spend.1.5% is less than your 2% on a Double Cash but it's not like you can use the Double Cash at Costco anyway.

Message 2 of 7
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

If you're considering consolidating cards, picking up the new and improved Fido or if you happen to be a member, waiting to see if that juicy Visa USAA is trialing makes it into the wild, and dumping both Citi and Chase and still keeping your 2% (or higher on that USAA card) default spend but this time Visa style.

If you're talking long term spend, and if Costco is a major piece of your budget then that .5% will add up over time.

        
Message 3 of 7
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

If you're considering consolidating cards, picking up the new and improved Fido or if you happen to be a member, waiting to see if that juicy Visa USAA is trialing makes it into the wild, and dumping both Citi and Chase and still keeping your 2% (or higher on that USAA card) default spend but this time Visa style.

If you're talking long term spend, and if Costco is a major piece of your budget then that .5% will add up over time.

Which juicy Visa is this? I see a 1.5% card in their lineup, but that's it.

Message 4 of 7
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@disdreamin wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

Which juicy Visa is this? I see a 1.5% card in their lineup, but that's it.

USAA Limitless card.

They're trialing in something like 5 states now a flat 1.5% card that gets bumped to 2.5% if you carrying 1K in DD a month to a USAA checking account.  If I don't or can't pick up a CSR, and maybe even if I do, this is a truly epic card if it becomes available.

        
Message 5 of 7
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

Thank you! Got it - did another search without putting myfico in and came up with the reddit about that card. Hmm...trying to remember what the offer was I got an email about a while back from USAA. May have to call them.

Message 6 of 7
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@disdreamin wrote:

Got it - did another search without putting myfico in and came up with the reddit about that card. Hmm...trying to remember what the offer was I got an email about a while back from USAA. May have to call them.

If you live in one of the trial states I think it's a no-brainer... TBH I'm not sure it's going to make it, we were talking about Sallie being just too good, this one likely falls into that category too.

        
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.