cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Partial CLI + Hard Pull from CITI

tag
Chronometal

Partial CLI + Hard Pull from CITI

I did a softpull on citi and got approved for $800 CLI.

Gave me the option to request more, so i did another 800 to make CL a 16000 total.

They did a HP on JUL 25 and denied due to recent puchases and high credit limit (~68%). I made some payments at month end to that and now im prob about 50%.

Now im screwed with an HP and no CLI in addition to the measley 800 CLI.

I called Citi and their customer service is india is robotic and uselsss. they transfered me to KY, i spoke to another rep who (dont be surprised) was worse than India. She basically did a SP again because she claimed i cant do that online. At the point i gave up and said dont i dont approve and hung up.

Am i stuck with the HP? technically it's valid and i like their SP, but their online practice to hide it in fine print and not very clear and call it "maybe be a hardpull" is a shady practice..

Thanks

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Partial CLI + Hard Pull from CITI

@Chronometal wrote:

Gave me the option to request more, so i did another 800 to make CL a 16000 total.

They did a HP on JUL 25 and denied due to recent puchases and high credit limit (~68%). I made some payments at month end to that and now im prob about 50%.

I called Citi and their customer service is india is robotic and uselsss. they transfered me to KY, i spoke to another rep who (dont be surprised) was worse than India. She basically did a SP again because she claimed i cant do that online. At the point i gave up and said dont i dont approve and hung up.

Am i stuck with the HP? technically it's valid and i like their SP, but their online practice to hide it in fine print and not very clear and call it "maybe be a hardpull" is a shady practice..

Thanks

Yes you are stuck with the HP and personally I don't think their wording that it may be a hard pull to be hidden or in fine print.  Nothing shady about it at all.  Anytime a creditor states a 'credit report may be pulled' assume that it will be a HP.  Even better no matter what you've read or heard about a CLI request bring a SP I wouldn't request one if it isn't that important or you might be declined because a creditor has the right to do a HP if you do and people often assume one thing and find out it's something different. 

Also I am not sure why you thought you would get any more after the first SP CLI. The $800 should have been an indicator that they weren't comfortable in giving you a much higher limit.  Applying for a CLI with 68% utilization probably isn't the best thing to do either.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Seems like you're being a little sensitive about it. Any time you request a CLI expect a hp. If it doesn't happen then be happy but it's usually pretty clear...
That's why when you have a decent limit on a card you should really figure if a HP is worth it. Greed got the best of you this time
Message 3 of 8
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Chronometal wrote:

Thanks

Its far from shady.... They write it stating when they will do a HP or a SP.... They clearly sated they will do a HP on your report so its nobody's fault other than your own. Can't blame citi on this. I have gone to Citi website asking for CLI's before and seen the language written on the website which clearly states it... Asked for a CLI on my DC with a SP a few days ago and than asked if they can do a HP...

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 4 of 8
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@Chronometal wrote:

Thanks

Its far from shady.... They write it stating when they will do a HP or a SP.... They clearly stated they will do a HP on your report so its nobody's fault other than your own. Can't blame citi on this. I have gone to Citi website asking for CLI's before and seen the language written on the website which clearly states it... Asked for a CLI on my DC with a SP a few days ago and than asked if they can do a HP...

I would have to agree...the language on the Citi site is very clear about when they will do an SP or HP.   It would have been better to not do it, but what's done is done.   Eventually it will age off.   You could see if Citi would be willing to remove the HP as a GW request, but they likely wouldn't approve the request since it was permissable.   We've all made credit mistakes, and sometimes we just need to chalk them up as learning experiences.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 5 of 8
Chronometal

Yea I made a mistake was just hoping to make the most out of it and get an increase
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I remember doing the online request for a CLI and that then told me there would not be a HP. I would think that 800 they gave you would've satiated your thirst, but when you pushed it, they had to do a HP. Leave that card alone for awhile in regards to CLI's.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's a lesson learned. Work on paying down your debt. Citibank accounts are eligible for CLIs every 6 month.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.