Parting Ways with Capital One

tag
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Parting Ways with Capital One

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

Assuming you want Cash Back cards, I suggest the Fidelity American Express for 2% cash back on everything. Also Sallie Mae mastercard for the 5% Grocery store, 5% Gas Station, 5% Book store (amazon.com) capped at $250/$250/$750 per month. After 6 months apply for another Sallie Mae provided you need a bigger monthly cap and have been using the first one well.

Other than that, if there is a US Bank in your area, its never too soon to try getting a Cash+ card, sometimes it takes a while...

Those would make for a good basic set of cash back cards. You can always add a few more later if you choose. Especially if you have a Huntington bank or Citizens bank in your area.

Just looked over at Citizens Bank.    A random chat message popped up, so I asked what their service footprint was.   They operate under the Citizens Bank brand in Connecticut, Delaware, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island and Vermont, and the Charter One brand in Illinois, Michigan, and Ohio.

Their Cashback MC is incredible for the first 90 days, but very lackluster after that.   I don't think I'd bite for that, even if I was in their footprint (I'm in SoCal)

Its the Citizens Bank Green$ense card that interests me. If you can charge a lot of inexpensive transactions, that one can be quite valuable. It would become my CVS card Smiley Wink CVS has become my convenience store.

You're right though, it doesn't make sense in Southern California. You would probably want the Marukai JCB card.

You'd have to make a lot of charges under $5 to have it equal or exceed 5%.

I'm very interested in Marukai, but I need spotless CRs for that.   It's a long term goal.   But then again, they're old school.  Mailing in applications, mailing in payments, etc...hopefully they'll get up to speed on that in the next couple of years.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 11 of 15
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

Assuming you want Cash Back cards, I suggest the Fidelity American Express for 2% cash back on everything. Also Sallie Mae mastercard for the 5% Grocery store, 5% Gas Station, 5% Book store (amazon.com) capped at $250/$250/$750 per month. After 6 months apply for another Sallie Mae provided you need a bigger monthly cap and have been using the first one well.

Other than that, if there is a US Bank in your area, its never too soon to try getting a Cash+ card, sometimes it takes a while...

Those would make for a good basic set of cash back cards. You can always add a few more later if you choose. Especially if you have a Huntington bank or Citizens bank in your area.

Just looked over at Citizens Bank.    A random chat message popped up, so I asked what their service footprint was.   They operate under the Citizens Bank brand in Connecticut, Delaware, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island and Vermont, and the Charter One brand in Illinois, Michigan, and Ohio.

Their Cashback MC is incredible for the first 90 days, but very lackluster after that.   I don't think I'd bite for that, even if I was in their footprint (I'm in SoCal)

Its the Citizens Bank Green$ense card that interests me. If you can charge a lot of inexpensive transactions, that one can be quite valuable. It would become my CVS card Smiley Wink CVS has become my convenience store.

You're right though, it doesn't make sense in Southern California. You would probably want the Marukai JCB card.

You'd have to make a lot of charges under $5 to have it equal or exceed 5%.

I'm very interested in Marukai, but I need spotless CRs for that.   It's a long term goal.   But then again, they're old school.  Mailing in applications, mailing in payments, etc...hopefully they'll get up to speed on that in the next couple of years.  

Well, I'm also a couponer at CVS, so I make a lot of purchases all at $1 or so. Sometimes I just pay the sales tax...

Well if Marukai turns out to be TOO old school, just let me know. I can always punch a few IBM cards for you, and you can mail those in and totally confuse them. Then again, they probably can still read 80 column IBM cards. I'll just have to punch a few using the 45 column format, with round holes, used prior to 1928 then Smiley Wink

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 12 of 15
KneelBeforeZod
Frequent Contributor

Well folks, I said goodbye to Capital One this evening and went to Barclaycard for a $3000 limit! I'll definitely not carry a balance on the card but the rewards seem nice!
Current Scores (Dec 20, 2015) - EQ=719 EX=739 TU=740
Message 13 of 15
KneelBeforeZod
Frequent Contributor

I'm done applying for a long time and back into the garden. Better update my sig and wonder what my score fallout will be. Ugh. Kind of feel nasty but I needed to get out of there and stop paying them AF's.

Thanks to all who provided feedback. You guys are great!
Current Scores (Dec 20, 2015) - EQ=719 EX=739 TU=740
Message 14 of 15
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

make sure you check out the barclay store....halfway decent discounts

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.