Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pathway to getting this card? (SPG)

tag
Objectivist
Valued Member

Pathway to getting this card? (SPG)

My score is 650-700. I have a low debt ratio and my longest account is 3 years old. I really want this card and/or others like it. I've already been declined for it though. (no surprise). I have 2 credit cards. My oldest has a $200 CL (BankAmericard Visa) and my new one I got this week has a $300 CL (CAP1 MC). I also have $10,000 in student loans on my report. I'm still a student. Also, I have no baddies-- only a lot of inquires. I know this will take some time. What does my pathway look like to getting this card?

CARD: https://www.creditkarma.com/creditcard/CCAmericanExpressCard82?originEvent=222394882

Starwoods Preferred Guest ^^^

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Re: Pathway to getting this card? (SPG)

How old is your oldest cc? What is your AAoA? What income, if any, do you have? And lastly, how many inquiries on each report and how old are they?

I've not been a student for a while so not familiar with the products but I believe Discover and Citi offer some good student cards. Also, you may want to app for Amex Green card (I would say zync but don't think it's available anymore).

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 15
Elcid89
Contributor

Realistically, your pathway to this card involves being employed. What reasons did Amex give for the decline?

They also hate excessive inquiries, as do most prime lenders.

FICO 04 scores: 809 (EQ) 812 (EX) 818 (TU)

Amex Platinum NPSL - Citi HHonors Sig. $58k - BMW Ultimate $40k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
NFCU Flagship Signature $50k - USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 3 of 15
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

@Elcid89 wrote:

Realistically, your pathway to this card involves being employed. What reasons did Amex give for the decline?

yes employed is a factor. well having a substainable income is. 

without having specifics we can't really provide info. 

are those the only two things on your reports? 

and someone correct me if im wrong. i believe that card needs a 5k limit? 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 4 of 15
OptimasPrime
Frequent Contributor

I would work on raising exisiting limits before giving it another try. Amex revolvers generally have a minimum cl of 1k (not sure on the spg though), with 2k being far more common.

Since you're still a student, I would look at citi and discovers student cc's first as they are more likely to grow from a cl perspective than your exisiting tradelines

EQ 778 | TU 776
Barclay US Airways WMC 7.5k | BCE 5.8k | BofA Travel Rewards 9.1k | Chase Marriott Premier 13k | Citi TYP WMC 6.5k | Freedom Visa Sig 8k| Discover it 10k
Message 5 of 15
Elcid89
Contributor

@creditnocash wrote:

@Elcid89 wrote:

yes employed is a factor. well having a substainable income is. 

without having specifics we can't really provide info. 

are those the only two things on your reports? 

and someone correct me if im wrong. i believe that card needs a 5k limit? 

Nah, I have heard that they will issue a starting limit as low as $1,000 with this product, although it hardly seems like it would be worth their time given the startup bonus.

FICO 04 scores: 809 (EQ) 812 (EX) 818 (TU)

Amex Platinum NPSL - Citi HHonors Sig. $58k - BMW Ultimate $40k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
NFCU Flagship Signature $50k - USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 6 of 15
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

Best case scenario is to finish school gardening your cards and app when you have a little higher aaoa and most of your inquries have ethier fallen off or are non factor to your score (over a year old)

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000

Message 7 of 15
CreditEd
Regular Contributor

First step is to get a green AMEX. This will get you in and requires 30-50 points lower score than an AMEX revolver. Gold Delta next. This card is relatively achievable and can be started with a low limit then grow infinitely.

SPG is AMEx top revolver so don't mess up the two above mentioned cards and pay pay pay your bills on time. With these two cards top Chase and Citi cards will also come soon, but again pay pay pay your bills on time. Your history and low utilization will become even more important than your income.

NPSL              $25k            $25k              $23k              $22k               $16k              $12k              $10k            $6.5k
Message 8 of 15
Objectivist
Valued Member

Just got off work. I do have an income of $25,000. Thank you CreditEd. This is exactly what I was looking for. I have a lot of recent inquires that won't have an affect one year from now. My AAoA is maybe 1.5 years with the oldest being 3 years. 

So is this my plan then?: 

AMEX Green   --> Gold Delta --> SPG 

When should I apply for AMEX Green? I just got a line of credit from CAP1 and my score is a lil below 700 with a ton a inq's.

When after should I apply for Gold Delta?

Finally, when should I realistically expect to have the SPG?

Message 9 of 15
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

@Objectivist wrote:

Just got off work. I do have an income of $25,000. Thank you CreditEd. This is exactly what I was looking for. I have a lot of recent inquires that won't have an affect one year from now. My AAoA is maybe 1.5 years with the oldest being 3 years. 

So is this my plan then?: 

AMEX Green   --> Gold Delta --> SPG 

When should I apply for AMEX Green? I just got a line of credit from CAP1 and my score is a lil below 700 with a ton a inq's.

When after should I apply for Gold Delta?

Finally, when should I realistically expect to have the SPG?

what is your expected income after college? 25k is a little low i think. 

and is the 1.5 years with the new card/s you just got? 

since you dont have any backdating you could app for green anytime. 

but note there is an annual fee after the first year. 

depending on income id say 2/3+ years and youd be good. 

3+ solid years of on time payments and low util. no inquries would be awesome for spg. 

the better thing is if you do get the green every other app you do with amex will be a soft pull if denied. 

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.