Established Member

Pay American Express right away or wait?

[ Edited ]

As I posted before I just got an American Express Platinum card and have charged a few plane tickets to it and a few hotels already and always put odd and end things on it. My question is. Is it ok to pay them online before charges post like maybe once a week or should I wait for them to post to pay it?

Im trying to build a good rep with them and would to pay things off right away.

Established Contributor

Re: Pay American Express right away or wait?

You know, it's probably a toss-up. Some will say pay weekly or before the statement cut and some will say to wait until it posts and PIF. I have always (for 11 years) PIF on the due date. I don't think that AMEX really cares so long as they are paid and paid on time. I have read here that one payment shows AMEX more stability and ability to manage funds, but I don't know about that as everyone's situation is different

AmEx Platinum | AmEx BCP | AmEx Delta Gold | CSP | Chase Freedom | NFCU cashRewards Visa Sig | NFCU Plat MC | WM MC | Discover it | JCP

Valued Contributor

adavis425 wrote:

You know, it's probably a toss-up. Some will say pay weekly or before the statement cut and some will say to wait until it posts and PIF. I have always (for 11 years) PIF on the due date. I don't think that AMEX really cares so long as they are paid and paid on time. I have read here that one payment shows AMEX more stability and ability to manage funds, but I don't know about that as everyone's situation is different

+ 1 - I used to pay everything weekly. Now I am changing this habit and PIF on the day before the due date.

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **

Valued Contributor

+3 Wait until it posts and pay.

Frequent Contributor

I don't think it really matters either way. Credit/charge card companies expect you to be using the card and pay on or before the due date. I don't think it matters in Amex's eyes how you pay, as long as you have it PIF by the due date.

Epic Contributor

I would say if this is first and only amex it would depend what kind of limit you have on other cards.

If you are looking to charge $10k Monthly but your highest CL on any other credit card is $2k you might want to make multiple payments a month but after 3-6 months of full spending the average of what you plan to do you will almost certainly fall off the extreme sensitive watch list of Amex/.

I really wouldn't worry about it but if it makes you feel better pay after charges post and slowly over next several months pay less frequently... and Im still not sure why I always see so many people that PIF a charge amex before statement? I understand the small chance of it reporting wrong on TU for charge vs revolver but otherwise I think the larger balance would help more then not and actually showing other creditors especially if my first statement of your highest cl's are not even close to what you need and want to charge.. i would think that would help with other banks to get higher limits.

Fico Scores: EQ- 662., TU 684 Barclay, EX 700 (3/21/15)

You will have to put up Electric Fence to keep me in the garden!
Highest Limit: Navy Federal Cash Sigi Visa $50k (AU)
Lowest Limit: Target $200
72 Cards and Counting :smileytongue:
Valued Contributor

I wait for due date to pay amex charge but make multiple payments on my revolver.
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just let the cash stack in my checking account and PIF 1 day before the statement cut and/or due date.  

My Wallet:
Discover It $14,300 | Chase United $12,000 | Chase Sapphire Preferred $7,000 | Chase Freedom $5,000 | Citi Simplicity $5,000 | AMEX BCE $4,200 | Paypal Extras Platinum $5,000 | Wells Fargo $1,000 | AMEX Zync NPSL
Moderator Emeritus

CA: it's actually FICO '98 rather than TU which has the issue of counting charge cards in the revolving utilization metric.

That said, I am firmly in the once a month camp if your internal limit supports your spend rate. The vast majority of people use their charge/credit cards this way, standing out is usually not good when it comes to one's finances. Lenders like predictability, though as RR proves, FICO doesn't care.
Starting Score: EQ 561, TU 567, EX 599* (12/30/11, EX lender pull 12/29/11)
Current Score: EQ 04 693, EQ 8 685, TU 705, EX 709 (02/27/15)
Goal Score: 700 on EQ 04 (01/01/16)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Frequent Contributor

I try to pay off my True Rewards Amex off just before the statement posts to keep my util down.

i don't always catch it, but it can make a 20 pt difference in my FICO score. 

bobebob || Nov: My FICO SW EQ(Upgraded Version) = 822 ||Sept: Walmart TU Fico=838Goal = FICO's>800 || In my wallet: CostcoAmEx(20k), DCU Visa Platinum (10k), BoA Visa Signature (17.1k), Walmart Discover (7.5k), AmEx Corporate (5k). All PIF every month.
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.