cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay Down CC before statement is cut?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Pay Down CC before statement is cut?

@Chris679 wrote:
There is a benefit to maximizing your score that I rarely see mentioned. Major companies will SP periodically and use those to give CLI. I try to keep no more than 1-2 cards reporting balances for this reason. I don't think manipulating the balances that report will make or break you but I think it is incorrect to think you score only effects you if you want to apply.

Ok so you keep a balance on 1-2 cards to attract CLI. What percentage? And how well has it worked? In other words, got a few examples you can share?

Message 11 of 14
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I was thinking you pay down after the statement is cut before the payment is due. I was wrong and want to confirm.

"Right" and "wrong" depend on one's specific goals.  As stated above, paying prior to report date (whether it's statement or another date) is used to reduce reported utilization.  If the goal isn't to reduce reported utilization and to just make a payment then the report date doesn't matter.

@0REDSOX7 wrote:
If you're not applying for new credit any time soon, then don't worry about utilization.

That's oversimplifying in the opposite direction.  Utilization always matters but one doesn't need to worry about optimizing to only one balance reporting and <=10% unless applying.  The 30% max guideline still applies.  One can certainly exceed that guideline for short periods of time but prolonged high utilization can lead to adverse action.

@Anonymous wrote:

Can the 10% be the card with highest limit? Also does this apply to a line of credit account that reports to the CRA's?

10% is the upper end of what is typically optimal.  It doesn't have to be exactly 10%.  10% or less.  Anything above 0.

@Anonymous wrote:

I will agree with the posters who question the usefulness of the pay-to-zero-before-statement trick.

See:

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/whatsinyourscore.aspx

Utilization (Amounts Owed) is 30%.  It is a major factor although the usefulness of adjusting utilization may be affected by derogs which typically carry a bigger impact.

I personally don't bother with it though as my limits are sufficent to keep my spend at nearly optimal levels.

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes I'm hoping to apply for car re-fi. I will use "keep one card at 10%" approach. 

I'd also suggest hitting Rebuilding and seeing what you can do to address whatever derogs you might have.

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok so you keep a balance on 1-2 cards to attract CLI. What percentage? And how well has it worked? In other words, got a few examples you can share?

There's no fixed percentage that guarantees CLI's.  For one thing, creditors don't all have the same criteria.  For another, your credit in its entirety is used to assess whether you qualify for a CLI.  Utilization is just one factor.

Message 12 of 14
Chris679
Established Contributor

I pay all my cards in full on the 15th. Then between 27th and 30th I pay off all but 1 or 2 again letting the balance report on those. I don't really worry about % because it's not more than 2%. I'm usually using 3-5 cards and I find this isn't too much work but allows the score to stay higher than it would if they all reported.
Message 13 of 14
Chris679
Established Contributor

Totally agree that there is not some secret formula for CLI. I like to keep stuff looking good at all times, you never know who's watching or when you might see something you like.
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.