cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay-In-Full vs Revolving Balance of <10%?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Pay-In-Full vs Revolving Balance of <10%?

Sunrise...

-Buckle CC is my only CC
-I have a personal loan that my grandparents co-signed for that is paying for my car. I'm paying $245/month over 2 years and have never missed a payment. (It will be paid off in August)
-I had a $400 medical bill I just paid last month...which my ER visit was in October 2013...so that was pretty late - but it's finally paid.

I was denied a Speedway CC last month unfortunately. I wanted to use it for gas and pay it off...basically another tool to build my credit but that's not happening lol
Message 11 of 15
tonyjones
Valued Contributor

It sucks that FICO dings you for not having a balance but leaving a balance will cause you to pay interest, lose lose scenario!

Current Fico Scores: (December 2023)
Message 12 of 15
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Sunrise...

-Buckle CC is my only CC
-I have a personal loan that my grandparents co-signed for that is paying for my car. I'm paying $245/month over 2 years and have never missed a payment. (It will be paid off in August)
-I had a $400 medical bill I just paid last month...which my ER visit was in October 2013...so that was pretty late - but it's finally paid.

I was denied a Speedway CC last month unfortunately. I wanted to use it for gas and pay it off...basically another tool to build my credit but that's not happening lol

Since the medical bill is a paid collection, I highly recommend that you go over to the Rebuilding forum and get information about GW (goodwill) removal.   Unfortunately, collections, paid or unpaid, are a negative.   

I think you'll see score improvement once Buckle starts reporting, even if you do have a zero balance.   Since you were denied Speedway, did they provide you with a score?   Did you use that denial to get a free credit report?

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 13 of 15
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@tonyjones wrote:

It sucks that FICO dings you for not having a balance but leaving a balance will cause you to pay interest, lose lose scenario!

No, interest is charged for anything not completely paid by the following due date (edit: mostly, some deep subprime issuers don't have a grace period and some balance transfers  and all cash advances to my knowledge charge interest beginning immediately as counter examples); there's no need to pay interest or carry a balance when it comes to revolving utilization and FICO scoring.

@Anonymous: careful on the $1 and other small amounts, it's possible not all lenders will report it based on some user reports though it worked with me for the few lenders I tried it with.

        
Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

The denial letter said my score was 608. I didn't realize I could get a free report with it. I'll get it tonight.

I'll look into the details of goodwill tonight. Could you cliff me on it?
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.