Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay Pal Buyers Credit Plug In / Allows you to use Paypay anywhere online

tag
Changingmantra
Established Contributor

Pay Pal Buyers Credit Plug In / Allows you to use Paypay anywhere online

Have you all heard of this?  I just installed it.  It allows those of us with Pay Pal to use this payment option at stores that do not normally accept pay pal.  Of course, this is still an online shopping option only, but it is a way for those of us with Pay Pal Buyer's credit to purchase things at sites like Best Buy etc.... when we do not have the cash or one of their credit cards.  It seems the plug in works buy generating an activated M/C number.  Should be interesting.
*Note to self* Remember why and for how long you had to rebuild in the first place! One Day at a Time, One Day at a Time!
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Pay Pal Buyers Credit Plug In / Allows you to use Paypay anywhere online

Changingmantra wrote:
Have you all heard of this?  I just installed it.  It allows those of us with Pay Pal to use this payment option at stores that do not normally accept pay pal.  Of course, this is still an online shopping option only, but it is a way for those of us with Pay Pal Buyer's credit to purchase things at sites like Best Buy etc.... when we do not have the cash or one of their credit cards.  It seems the plug in works buy generating an activated M/C number.  Should be interesting.

Why not just use a regular credit card?  Any Visa, MC, Amex, or Discover will do.

Message 2 of 19
Uniqua
Established Contributor

I have been using the PayPal plug-in for a couple of months now and I absolutely love it. If I do not have the funds in my PP account, my back-up funding source is used for the purchase. I love this because PP doesn't actually draft the funds out of my back-up funding account for about 4 days. That comes in handy if you won't have the money for a couple of days and you need to make a purchase right away. The plug-in allows you to choose either a single-use Mastercard number (expires in a month) or a multi-use Mastercard number (expires in about 2 years). Both generated numbers are secure and have an expiration date and 3-digit security code. You can save all purchase receipts in your PP account for viewing or printing later on. I also have the PP Mastercard debit card too.

If you access a web page that requires you to fill in name, address, e-mail address, etc., the plug-in will ask if you would like PP to populate the information for you. Just click yes and all of your information will be typed in. Takes about 2 seconds. In this case, you can also tell the plug-in which address information you'd like to use, i.e., home, work, billing, shipping, etc. As long as this information is already on your PP account, it will fill in the information for you. This is so good for me as I get so tired of filling in my billing and shipping information all the time.

Words cannot describe how much I love this plug-in. If you don't have it, try it. I'm sure you'll love it too. Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 19
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

Uniqua wrote:
 I love this because PP doesn't actually draft the funds out of my back-up funding account for about 4 days. That comes in handy if you won't have the money for a couple of days and you need to make a purchase right away.

Wow.  Using a credit card is a lot safer and gives you a lot more time to come up with the money.  And if something happens and you can't, finance charges are a lot less than an overdraft fee.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 19
Uniqua
Established Contributor

Thrasher, I'm not understanding you. What finance charges and/or overdraft fees? This is PayPal. You are not charged any fees. The secure MC numbers generated are temporary numbers. Your actual CC information is not given, therefore making it more secure if you ask me.
Message 5 of 19
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

You said you use it when you don't have funds available, because it tends to take 4 days or so to pull from your bank account.  I'm saying if you don't have funds in your bank account, it would be safer to use a CC, because if you can't come up with the money for the purchase in 4 days you're gonna be hit with overdraft charges.  And you could have weeks extra to come up with the money if you put it on a card.  Then, if you can't come up with it by statement time, you pay a measly finance charge vs. a $35 overdraft charge (35 is a lot, but I'm making a point).

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 19
Uniqua
Established Contributor

I never said I use it when I don't have funds available in my back-up funding source. I recall saying that if my PP account doesn't have the funds, my back-up funding source is used. I said it comes in handy if "you" won't have the funds for a couple of days. I don't get hit with overdraft charges. I only mentioned that because I have noticed that it takes about 4 days before the draft hits my back-up funding source. I never said what that "back-up" funding source was either.

How is it safer to use a CC online with all the vulnerabilities in web browsers? When you use a temporary PP MC, whether your back-up source is your bank CC, CU CC, PP CC or bank account, your real CC number is hidden. Your CC is protected. Some people, and I am one of those people, prefer not to use their CC number when making purchases online. Thus the reason for Paypal.
Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I could definitely see using this on websites that don't accept AMEX/Discover.
Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

CCs come with fraud protections that make them safe for the consumer no matter where you use them.

Those CCCs that issue temporary account numbers for use online are offering this service in order to protect their own a$$ets, not yours.  IMO, temporary account numbers are overkill.

Message 9 of 19
Uniqua
Established Contributor

IMO, temporary CC numbers are better and safer than using actual CC numbers when shopping online - as is Paypal. The time it takes to prove fraudulent charges are not mine is a waste of time when I could just use a temp number. Calling around canceling accounts, putting fraud alerts on CRs, signing and returning affidavits, etc. is too time consuming. Just because CCs are backed-up with fraud protections doesn't mean you won't have a hard time proving certain charges are not yours. Been there, done that. The bank eventually held me responsible for a purchase I did not make. Had to wait nearly a month to get a new CC too.

Again, I think it is a wonderful tool and I'm sure others will too. Not getting rid of it any time soon. Anywayssssss
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.