Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay charged off AMEX?

tag
randeman
Frequent Contributor

Re: Pay charged off AMEX?

@pizzadude wrote:
Do you know for certain that they pulled your credit ? As others have said if they blacklisted you the denial shouldn't result in an inquiry.

A valid point which slipped my mind.  No, I don't know if they pulled a report.  I will know tomorrow when I call to get the reason(s) for denial.

Sidebar:  I can't help but wonder if I was denied the Skymiles card because I did not qualify for it but would qualify for a charge card.  Would that information be relayed to me when I got the denial or no.

Experian Score: 689--Amex 27 July 2014; Equifax Score 680--MyFICO--17 September 2014; TransUnion Score 718-Discover 20 August 2014--PUH-RAISE JESUS, I finally broke 700!!! Cards and Credit Lines: Escape by Discover, Chase Freedom Signature Visa, Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Signature Visa, Chase Sapphire Preferred Signature Visa, Barclay's Holland America Visa, Citibank Custom Credit Line, Paypal Custom Connect Credit Line, Bloomingdale's, Macy's Premier Elite, Amazon Store Card, Lord & Taylor, Nordstrom, Discover It, Gold Delta SkyMiles from American Express, PayPal BML.
Message 11 of 47
randeman
Frequent Contributor

@Imua wrote:

@randeman wrote:

Decades ago I had a green AMEX.  Then I got into some SERIOUS trouble and the AMEX along with all my other cards were charged off.  Since then, and every few years, I will get a letter from "someone" asking me to pay a reduced amount and clear it up.  I usually ignore it since I am well past the time that it will show up on my CR and past the statute of limitations to be sued for the debt.  Now, however, I would like to have an AMEX again since I am much more mature and responsible.  My question is, the next time I get a letter asking to have that portion paid off, should I pay it off in the hopes of being approved for another card or should I just forget it and apply and hope for the best?  I would love a gold Delta Skymiles but that may be out of my league for the time being.  I am indifferent toward another green card.  I would take it, but probably wouldn't use it that much if approved.  Heaven would be a platinum, but I KNOW I don't stand a snowball's chance with that!  My Equifax score is 667. 

Thoughts and experiences?

if you decide to pay the Amex charge-off (to get back in with Amex), I wouldn't pay it by way of responding to the letters you get from "someone" off and on over the years.

most likely, those "someones" credit collectors who "bought" your debt from Amex, and Amex wouldn't even know that you paid.

I would deal directly with Amex if it turns out your denial from them was due to your past charge off (iirc, i have seen posters stating that they got an Amex card when Amex offered the card if they paid a charge off.  i can't speak to that directly from experience, though.)

Just be aware of who the" someones" are who are offering to consider as paid in full for your payment of a reduced % of what they say you owe - collection agency vs Amex itself.

I am all but certain these requests for payment were not from Amex, but it's been so long since I have received one, I don't recall for sure.  It's something to discuss with the new accounts office tomorrow. 

Someone else mentioned upline that if I paid off the debt, it would appear again on my credit report as a paid charge off.  I feel like I'm damned if I do/damned if I don't.  I don't want to be a deadbeat and I do need to be responsible for me debts both past and present (future stands to reason).  Here I sit thinking if I pay it off it's going back on my report only to bring up old damage as new and what good does that do me?  It doesn't guarantee future acceptance by Amex and the only one that wins if I pay it back is whomever bought the debt years ago.  On the other hand, it's morally right to pay a debt I should man up to.  It's a quandry.

Experian Score: 689--Amex 27 July 2014; Equifax Score 680--MyFICO--17 September 2014; TransUnion Score 718-Discover 20 August 2014--PUH-RAISE JESUS, I finally broke 700!!! Cards and Credit Lines: Escape by Discover, Chase Freedom Signature Visa, Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Signature Visa, Chase Sapphire Preferred Signature Visa, Barclay's Holland America Visa, Citibank Custom Credit Line, Paypal Custom Connect Credit Line, Bloomingdale's, Macy's Premier Elite, Amazon Store Card, Lord & Taylor, Nordstrom, Discover It, Gold Delta SkyMiles from American Express, PayPal BML.
Message 12 of 47
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

In general they will not tell you that you would have been approved for a different card. But if they didn't pull your report, you'll know you are blacklisted and it wouldn't have mattered. Can't remember what people have reported the letter states when it is due to blacklist, but probably something to do with past charge off which would be another indication. You can call them and inquire about ability to pay off past balance and get a card as discussed above.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 47
Imua
Frequent Contributor

@randeman wrote:

@Imua wrote:

@randeman wrote:

Decades ago I had a green AMEX.  Then I got into some SERIOUS trouble and the AMEX along with all my other cards were charged off.  Since then, and every few years, I will get a letter from "someone" asking me to pay a reduced amount and clear it up.  I usually ignore it since I am well past the time that it will show up on my CR and past the statute of limitations to be sued for the debt.  Now, however, I would like to have an AMEX again since I am much more mature and responsible.  My question is, the next time I get a letter asking to have that portion paid off, should I pay it off in the hopes of being approved for another card or should I just forget it and apply and hope for the best?  I would love a gold Delta Skymiles but that may be out of my league for the time being.  I am indifferent toward another green card.  I would take it, but probably wouldn't use it that much if approved.  Heaven would be a platinum, but I KNOW I don't stand a snowball's chance with that!  My Equifax score is 667. 

Thoughts and experiences?

if you decide to pay the Amex charge-off (to get back in with Amex), I wouldn't pay it by way of responding to the letters you get from "someone" off and on over the years.

most likely, those "someones" credit collectors who "bought" your debt from Amex, and Amex wouldn't even know that you paid.

I would deal directly with Amex if it turns out your denial from them was due to your past charge off (iirc, i have seen posters stating that they got an Amex card when Amex offered the card if they paid a charge off.  i can't speak to that directly from experience, though.)

Just be aware of who the" someones" are who are offering to consider as paid in full for your payment of a reduced % of what they say you owe - collection agency vs Amex itself.

I am all but certain these requests for payment were not from Amex, but it's been so long since I have received one, I don't recall for sure.  It's something to discuss with the new accounts office tomorrow. 

Someone else mentioned upline that if I paid off the debt, it would appear again on my credit report as a paid charge off.  I feel like I'm damned if I do/damned if I don't.  I don't want to be a deadbeat and I do need to be responsible for me debts both past and present (future stands to reason).  Here I sit thinking if I pay it off it's going back on my report only to bring up old damage as new and what good does that do me?  It doesn't guarantee future acceptance by Amex and the only one that wins if I pay it back is whomever bought the debt years ago.  On the other hand, it's morally right to pay a debt I should man up to.  It's a quandry.

i could be wrong, but it's my understanding if you pay the Amex "debt" by way of paying credit collector, it wouldn't show up in anyway on your credit reports IF those debt collector "accts" have already fallen off your CR (due to >7yrs) and due to being past the SOL for them to sue you.

Is your Amex charge off still showing up on your CRs under an Amex TL?

If it turns out Amex denied you due to your past charge off with them, but they offer to allow you to pay that directly to them in order for you to get approved now, i'm not sure that they would report the "charge off" to your CR at this point in time (especially if it's fallen off your current CRs).  i would think they would just report your 'new" card/acct.

Message 14 of 47
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Even if you make a deal to pay AMEX debt off and you get a card, they can easily cancel anytime they want.

Message 15 of 47
randeman
Frequent Contributor

@Wolf3 wrote:

Even if you make a deal to pay AMEX debt off and you get a card, they can easily cancel anytime they want.

Gee, thanks.  I vote we put you in charge of morale.

Message 16 of 47
tennisfan78
Established Contributor

i wonder what your credit score is? May be this denial has nothing to do with your chargeoff from the past.

Starting Score: EQ=665,TU=618 on Oct 9,2010
EQ=702,TU=725 on Apr 11, 2012 EQ=705 on Oct 31, 2012 Current Score: EQ=702, TU=714 on Dec 8, 2012
Goal Score: 750

Message 17 of 47
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

I don't think the charge off can reappear. Chargeoffs are deleted 7.5 years from DOFD.

Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)

Message 18 of 47
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@wolf3, any lender can cancel an acct any time they want. It really doesn't happen that often for no discernible reason.

Message 19 of 47
randeman
Frequent Contributor

I spoke with a gentleman at Amex just now and he stated that the only thing that is standing in my  way is a judgment that I am disputing with Experian (and Equifax for that matter).  Additionally, the judgment was paid in full but I have not gotten the paperwork to the credit reporting agencies showing that fact because I was disputing the case first due to the fact that I was not properly served.  Amex further stated that even if the dispute was not honored, showing them that the judgment was paid in full will help me get the card.  They are sending me a reconsideration application and said I should follow up with Experian to find out why it is still on my report even though it is in dispute.

I guess they have a short memory with respect to the old account.

Message 20 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.