Re: Pay in Full vs. Paying after statement

@LTL, lol. So true.
Message 11 of 97
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
@LTL, lol. So true.

But I would be surprised if many of the quick-to-cast-stones crowd will give up "optimizing"  their scores!

Message 12 of 97
Chris679
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Of course, doing this is cheating the system, just as much as say, oh, MS.   The FICO score is meant to represent risk for the issuer, based on data from "normal" behavior, where people pay (either in full or in part) after the statement cuts.   So reducing balance before the statement cuts (just for that purpose) is a deliberate attempt to misrepresent risk to current and potential issuers.  I am shocked it is openly condoned.

How would there be any risk if the balance is already paid?  To make any argument that people who pay down before the statement are doing something wrong or misleading is ridiculous. 

Message 13 of 97
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Chris679 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Of course, doing this is cheating the system, just as much as say, oh, MS.   The FICO score is meant to represent risk for the issuer, based on data from "normal" behavior, where people pay (either in full or in part) after the statement cuts.   So reducing balance before the statement cuts (just for that purpose) is a deliberate attempt to misrepresent risk to current and potential issuers.  I am shocked it is openly condoned.

How would there be any risk if the balance is already paid?  To make any argument that people who pay down before the statement are doing something wrong or misleading is ridiculous. 

Or actually correct.  The FICO algorithms are based on data collected over time and comparing those that at some point defaulted from those that didn't.   It doesn't need to make sense, just statistical correlation.  So more points are given to those that have say one non-zero balance.   Because the data is based on "normal" behavior, this is going to happen when people are using only one cc, or perhaps rotating which cc they use from time to time.  Here, people can be spending abritrary amounts on all thier cards, and just paying htem down to 0 before the statement cuts.

We are not talking about risk THIS cycle, because as you say the money is paid.   But when you apply for a new card (precisely the time people are told to do this trick) you are giving the creditor the impression that you are one of these low-risk type of people, when in fact your real behavior doesn't match that all.

Whichever way you view it, this is gaming the algorithm.  Or being deliberately deceptive to gain an advantage.    Which is OK by me, but people should understand what they are really doing, and is as "wrong" as most other things that are called wrong here.

Message 14 of 97
elim
Senior Contributor

i would really love to share my 2 cents here but i have to run to CVS and get some more ice cream.

Message 15 of 97
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@elim wrote:

i would really love to share my 2 cents here but i have to run to CVS and get some more ice cream.

Nooooo!   Get Amex gift cards, no purchase fee through Dec 6.

Message 16 of 97
Anonymous
Not applicable

Really? I don't MS but I want to get a $20 one for niece.

Message 17 of 97
yfan
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Yeah, it's exactly the same, except, you know, that no one agrees to a terms of service with Credit Reporting Bureaus promising not to pay their credit cards before the statement cuts, whereas by using credit cards we agree to terms that prohibit behavior that is commonly described as MS. The two are also exactly the same except that one is knowing the rules of the game and using them to your advantage and the other is gaming the system. So yes, other than the difference between an athlete who strategizes for a game within the rules and another athelete and who simply skirts the rules (say, by certain using certain prohibited enhancements) or that between a student who used test taking techniques to get a better test score and one who just cheats -- other than those, yeah, there is absolutely no difference between the two.

Message 18 of 97
Anonymous
Not applicable

@elim, Rocky road?
Message 19 of 97
Chris679
Established Contributor

I don't think it's far fetched to imagine FICO analyzing the "PIF before statement" behavior years ago and determining that it is not an indicator of risk and therefore not factoring it into scoring models. I think any artificial score boast you see from this is probably deserved based on the fact that this very responsible behavior. Over the top and unnecessary maybe but certainly responsible.
Message 20 of 97
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.