Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay in Full vs. Paying after statement

tag
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Pay in Full vs. Paying after statement

@Anonymous wrote:

1) My initial premise of not really being risky relies on the premise that you're in fact paying off the bill every month, which is the predominant factor to the scores. Whether or not you let a score report, the bill is still being paid within the limits, so the hypothetical person paying off all but one card pre-statement is likely not a bigger risk than the person who pays in full.

2) There appear to be some confused versions of ethics here. Ethics are a system of moral principles or the rules of conduct recognized in respect to a particularclass of human actions or a particular group, culture, etc. cite: dictionary.reference.com. Morals, of course, deal with what we as a society determine to be "right and wrong"

It is unethical to steal. It is not unethical to enter a contract, and to abide by the letter of that contract. If one side gives you something, you are not obligated, ethically or otherwise, give it back. This defines the difference between MS and stealing. In MS, they have a contract with you that involves the losely defined term "cash equivalents," yet they still give you the points for it. They can seize them back as a mistake of the contract, and it is not unethical to do so. You can also accept them as a gift, and it is also not unethical. 

This conversation seems to be devaluing the greater understanding of ethics as doing what is right, and is devolving into a moral superiority contest, without the usually civility that I've come to expect on these forums. On that note, I vote for pepperoni with sausage and mushrooms. 

The premise of paying in full applied to normal spend that a person encounters in their day to day life, is not a risk. Most people simply don't have the monthly spend rate to cause a problem. Where the PIF can pose a risk under the radar is when a MSer is churning a large number of gift cards, cycling them, paying down a large balance before the statement, so that it appears to be limited risk. When, in fact, the cycle of funds may end up getting them in a bind that they won't really have the cash to make the payments at some point. At that point, they may have an outstanding debt and no resources to pay. The music has stopped and there is no chair available.

As to the practice of MS using gift cards, the typical CC agreement excludes "cash equivalents" as a rewarded purchase. An MSer with resolve may be able to locate stores where the coding of the gift cards causes them to be rewarded. I suspect that the MSer who is making "a lot" of money doing MS is in a business where 1) they are spending a lot of time figuring out how to run the MS, and 2) eventually it is going to be shut down either by the store by changing coding, or by the CCC by recognizing the outsized rewards. So the MSer can have them. Regardless of any ethical questions, I don't think it is a sustainable income source. There is also the issue of disposing of all those cash cards, a treadmill I would not choose to jump onto.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 61 of 97
sean23
Valued Member

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Chris679 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Of course, doing this is cheating the system, just as much as say, oh, MS.   The FICO score is meant to represent risk for the issuer, based on data from "normal" behavior, where people pay (either in full or in part) after the statement cuts.   So reducing balance before the statement cuts (just for that purpose) is a deliberate attempt to misrepresent risk to current and potential issuers.  I am shocked it is openly condoned.

How would there be any risk if the balance is already paid?  To make any argument that people who pay down before the statement are doing something wrong or misleading is ridiculous. 

Or actually correct.  The FICO algorithms are based on data collected over time and comparing those that at some point defaulted from those that didn't.   It doesn't need to make sense, just statistical correlation.  So more points are given to those that have say one non-zero balance.   Because the data is based on "normal" behavior, this is going to happen when people are using only one cc, or perhaps rotating which cc they use from time to time.  Here, people can be spending abritrary amounts on all thier cards, and just paying htem down to 0 before the statement cuts.

We are not talking about risk THIS cycle, because as you say the money is paid.   But when you apply for a new card (precisely the time people are told to do this trick) you are giving the creditor the impression that you are one of these low-risk type of people, when in fact your real behavior doesn't match that all.

Whichever way you view it, this is gaming the algorithm.  Or being deliberately deceptive to gain an advantage.    Which is OK by me, but people should understand what they are really doing, and is as "wrong" as most other things that are called wrong here.

Sorry, but people that do this are generally less of a risk because of the fact that they are able to pay off all of their outstanding credit balances and leave only 1 balance at less than 10%.  Regardless of which cycle they choose to do it in, the fact that they can do it speaks volumes. On top of that- the difference between MS and optimizing FICO is that people that MS are hurting rewards systems for EVERYONE. Optimizing your FICO hurts no one. 

Message 62 of 97
sean23
Valued Member

But you arent really "buying" gift cards. You are using gift cards to launder credit into cash to payback your credit card bill. 

Message 63 of 97
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sean23 wrote:

But you arent really "buying" gift cards. You are using gift cards to launder credit into cash to payback your credit card bill. 

That's a bill, isn't it? Smiley Wink

Message 64 of 97
sean23
Valued Member

@Open123 wrote:

@yfan wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

By whose definition of ethical?  Mine?  Yours?  The US Gov't?  The PRC?  The Brits?  

By mine, which I think is a pretty common definition: ethics, at a minimum, requires one to abide - even when no one is watching - by conditions/terms/contracts one voluntarily subjects oneself to. Again, see speeding.

The speeding is a limit mandated by State law.  There is no speed limit on the autobahn in Germany.  Are the Germans unethical?

Buying GCs are not illegal, nor are they prohibited the issuers.  So, according to you, though buying GCs are not illegal nor are they prohibited by the issuers, I shouldn't buy them because it's unethical, according to you?

This makes sense to you?

Buying Gift cards is not illegal, but abusing the rewards systems is against the TOS and is prohibited.

Message 65 of 97
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

This thread has gone off topic and is starting to go in circles with nothing new being added.

Message 66 of 97
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MarineVietVet wrote:

This thread has gone off topic and is starting to go in circles with nothing new being added.

Speaking of circles, I like your sig.

So, who here pays before statement cut? Smiley Tongue

Message 67 of 97
sean23
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:

@MarineVietVet wrote:

Speaking of circles, I like your sig.

So, who here pays before statement cut? Smiley Tongue

I pay down to less than 10% before statement cuts for utilization.

Message 68 of 97
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@sean23 wrote:

Sorry, but people that do this are generally less of a risk because of the fact that they are able to pay off all of their outstanding credit balances and leave only 1 balance at less than 10%.  Regardless of which cycle they choose to do it in, the fact that they can do it speaks volumes. On top of that- the difference between MS and optimizing FICO is that people that MS are hurting rewards systems for EVERYONE. Optimizing your FICO hurts no one. 

As I said, SOME people do the paying off as part of good financial mangement, and that's fine.  Others do it just before a huge app spree to maximize the chance of getting cards that they wouldn't otherwise get ("deserve").

And, in the long run, such behavior could damage it for everyone.  If issuers start experiencing increasing defaults with users with FICOs of X (artificially enhanced) they may increase the threshold, denying the cards to "normal" people with scores of X who are really low risk.

So it really isn't as black and white as some people seem to think.   Yes, there are no "good" reasons for MS, but there are also plenty of bad reasons for cheating the scoring process.

Message 69 of 97
sean23
Valued Member

@Fico2Go wrote:

@yfan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So. In effect, If someone wanted to get rewards for paying their mortgage, an expense not normally payable by credit card.

You believe this is unethical.

It's not about what is "normally" payable by a method of payment. This is about whether the TOS excludes rewards for paying for a certain thing - and IF a credit card agreement has mortgages mentioned among the exclusions, then yes, it's unethical, otherwise no.

Nixon wrote: 

Back on topic however. Paying before the balance cuts CAN have it's benefit if you're trying to optimize a score. But it won't show use if you're paying in full -- Unless it's a Chase card, which have been known to show your high balance regardless of whether you let it report one or not.

Hmm, I had no idea about this being Chase's policy. But then again, I don't much care if my balances report (frankly I think that's a little overblown, but that's just me) - I just care about paying them off by the due date so I don't pay interest.

If you are paying your bills in full by the due dates, aren't you using credit cards as cash equivalents?   THAT'S JUST WRONG!

Using credit cards to pay bills is not the problem. Using credit cards to pay yourself is, and THAT's what causes issuers to place restrictions on rewards- which is bad for everyone. Then we get to the point where people arent allowed to make legitimate purchases because people have abused the system. That's also wrong. 

Message 70 of 97
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.