Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay it off - Lower Score?!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pay it off - Lower Score?!

In May of 2006, I had a good $8,000 racked up by May, 2006. Let's just say that I wasn't too smart about my credit during college; ) I always still paid more than the minimum, and always timely. However, when I got out of college, I paid it all off by May, 2007. Well, ever since May of this year, my credit score has been decreasing! I don't get it! I didn't close the accounts - they are still open. I haven't used the 2 credit cards at all since May, so I don't understand why my score has decreased... Do I have to use the cards to increase my score or something? Help, please Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
chartley3
Frequent Contributor

Re: Pay it off - Lower Score?!

You want to keep between 1-9% utility on the cards. Charge a tank of gas a month or buy a 6 pack and charge it. You will see the scores increase.
Message 2 of 5
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, definitely you need to use your card.

Keep in mind, that NOT using your card does not show that you can manage money.   So, treat us to a drink every month and pay it off on time and you'll see your scores increase.

Diamond Dave 
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good one DiamondDave...
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.