New Visitor

Pay it off - Lower Score?!

In May of 2006, I had a good $8,000 racked up by May, 2006. Let's just say that I wasn't too smart about my credit during college; ) I always still paid more than the minimum, and always timely. However, when I got out of college, I paid it all off by May, 2007. Well, ever since May of this year, my credit score has been decreasing! I don't get it! I didn't close the accounts - they are still open. I haven't used the 2 credit cards at all since May, so I don't understand why my score has decreased... Do I have to use the cards to increase my score or something? Help, please :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor

Re: Pay it off - Lower Score?!

You want to keep between 1-9% utility on the cards. Charge a tank of gas a month or buy a 6 pack and charge it. You will see the scores increase.
Moderator Emeritus

Valued Member

Yes, definitely you need to use your card.

Keep in mind, that NOT using your card does not show that you can manage money.   So, treat us to a drink every month and pay it off on time and you'll see your scores increase.

Diamond Dave 
Established Contributor

Good one DiamondDave...
TU 662 EQ 644
EX 643

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}