Frequent Contributor

Pay of credit cards

So Ipaid off some credit cards, one was a secured visa that I srewed up, my CU never reported me late, but 6 months or so ago, the balance was so high that they took the security $ and closed the card, I paid it off, and it was just reported, before my credit util was 120%, now with that one being the first to report since the payoff, my score dropped 6 points.  What is up with this?

Starting Score: 460
Current Score: EQ 672, TU 691 EX 663,
Discover IT 1700, Freedom 9500, Slate 4800, Amazon CC 4000, Marriott rewards 7000, AMEX Green NPSL, Walmart 3300 barclays rewards 2950, US AIR 4000, MAC 3000, Lowes 7000 Care Credit 5000, AMEX green, Walmart MC 1200
Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor

Re: Pay of credit cards

Now that you've paid it off, does it still report the original CL, or is it now reporting $0, as it should be? One factor might be that you've lost that card's contribution to your total CL.

More likely, it's because with the card now closed, you have one less open revolving account. FICO scoring rewards for open revolving accounts (used responsibly, of course), because revolving credit is riskier than installment. How many open CC's do you now have?

And did you pull a report to find that your score dropped 8 points? If so, look on screen 2 at your list of negative factors. If you saved the earlier report, the one with the higher score, has the order of the negative factors changed at all?
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.