cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay off Credit Cards or Student Loans?

tag
UPSGregg
Established Member

Re: Pay off Credit Cards or Student Loans?

Pay off the lowest balance first then apply the payment you were paying on that onto the next lowest. It's called the debt snowball. I suggest taking a look at daveramsey.com and his 7 baby steps. It works.

Starting Score: EQ 779
Current Score: EQ 779
Goal Score: EQ 800+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 19
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@ewingerter wrote:

I need some advise on which to payoff first.  My UTL is at about 75% and my student loans interest rates are 6.30 compaired to CC 17.24%.

This should be a no brainer for you Smiley Tongue

Agreed! Do the math and let it guide you. Math never lies.

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 12 of 19
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@UPSGregg wrote:
Pay off the lowest balance first then apply the payment you were paying on that onto the next lowest. It's called the debt snowball. I suggest taking a look at daveramsey.com and his 7 baby steps. It works.

I suggest you don't.    You should do the math based on what the interest costs are.   The snowball technique is a motivational trick that can cost you a lot of extra money.

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just be sure to continue paying on the student loan and never defer.  In most cases student loans are not dischargable in BK and will follow you forever!

Message 14 of 19
frogfan12
Established Contributor

Pay off the CCs first and then use the money you'd use for those extra CC payments to pay off your student loans. And student loan interest rates are not that low. Mine hover between 6 and 8 percent. That's pretty steep, considering some people have interest rates of 2-4 percent.

Starting Score: 760
Current Score: 716 Equifax 754 TU 736 Experian
Goal Score: 760
Message 15 of 19
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Always useful to remember that attempted irony often backfires on a public internet forum. Smiley Happy

OP, I agree with the others --CC's first. Not only is the APR higher in your case, but if you're considering your FICO scores as well, lowering the util on your CC's will be helpful to your scores. Student loans are installment credit, and util on installment has a very low effect on your scores compared to revolving util.

My own belief is that financial sense outweighs scoring sense, and when paying off the cards first gives both financial AND scoring benefits, it's the right decision.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 16 of 19
Chris123nTx
Established Contributor

Forget the interest rate argument ----- student loans will never ever go away untill they are paid in full.

Thats my opinion of course, but if you spend any time in the student loan forum, you will find destroyed cred and dreams because something unexpected happens and you find yourself not being able to pay.

Get rid of those as fast as you can.
Good luck
Message 17 of 19
JustMe77
Frequent Contributor

What are the balances on each card/loan and interest rate? Are all the credit card balances with that high interest? How long do you think it will take to pay each one off?

While student loans have a lower APR in this case, you can't get rid of them in bankruptcy. 

You can do the 'debt snowball', where you ignore APR and just pay the smallest balance first. It doesn't make sense mathmatically, except it motivates you to keep paying down the debt and you will feel a sense of accomplishment after each balance is gone. It's easier to keep track of just one balance instead of five, kwim?

Or, you could just pay the highest interest rate debts first. Bringing down your credit card utilization ratio should give your FICO a nice boost.

Do what works for you, there's no 'right' way. If it were me, I would get rid of the student loans,

Current Cards: Banana Republic Visa ($5,300), Chase Freedom ($2,000), Discover It ($11,500), Amex Costco True Earnings ($5,000), Chase Slate ($2,500)
Message 18 of 19
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Maybe I missed something here, but I don't remember OP saying anything about only being able to pay off one or the other:

@ewingerter wrote:

I need some advise on which to payoff first.  My UTL is at about 75% and my student loans interest rates are 6.30 compaired to CC 17.24%.

If it were an either/ or case, and there was genuinely no alternative, then I would agree with paying off the SL's and letting the CC's crash and burn. Sad, but less devastating in the long run.

But unless there's something I haven't read on another thread (very possible), I think OP was just asking about which to go after first.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.