Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay off card before statement close?

tag
ssmith891
New Contributor

Pay off card before statement close?

So I applied and was approved for the AAdvantage Citi Platinum with the 50k bonus while spending $3k in 3 months. I've had the card for a few weeks and saved a lot of my big spending for when I got it. My balance is at $2k and my credit limit is $3500. Should I go ahead and pay this down before the statement closes in order to show less util?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Pay off card before statement close?

@ssmith891 wrote:

So I applied and was approved for the AAdvantage Citi Platinum with the 50k bonus while spending $3k in 3 months. I've had the card for a few weeks and saved a lot of my big spending for when I got it. My balance is at $2k and my credit limit is $3500. Should I go ahead and pay this down before the statement closes in order to show less util?

Yes feel free to pay down

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 11
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@ssmith891 wrote:

+1 Smiley Happy

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 3 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@djc1puno wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@ssmith891 wrote:

+1 Smiley Happy

-1!  Only do that if you plan to app for something or are looking for CLIs etc this month where your score matters.  Otherwise PIF on the due date (using Citi autopay) and stop giving money early.

Message 4 of 11
parakleet
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@djc1puno wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@ssmith891 wrote:

+1 Smiley Happy

-1!  Only do that if you plan to app for something or are looking for CLIs etc this month where your score matters.  Otherwise PIF on the due date (using Citi autopay) and stop giving money early.

+1 There's a bit of an overemphasis on here about paying before the statement cuts. 

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 5 of 11
myjourney
Super Contributor

OP said nothing about apps or scores ...so my thinking was freeing up available spending / closing in on limit ...Ha ha ha Smiley Tongue

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 6 of 11
mikey78
Frequent Contributor

don't know this is useful or not but my first month i received my BofA card
i charged about 580 on it and paid 300 back before statement came out and i saw my credit high at 580 even though the statement balance reported was 280

Current score TU 708, EX 686 EQ 715
Status I.T.Garden Till 08/2014
Message 7 of 11
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

I think OP is asking if he will still get the bonus points.  Yes, you get the points for meeting minimum spend, regardless of when you pay the balance.  You don't need to pay it until the due date, but you can pay it whenever you want, even before the statement cuts if this is what you want to do.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 8 of 11
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

@ssmith891 wrote:

I'm a big fan of letting some months' charges post and then PIF. I have no definitive proof, but I think it looks good to the issuer when a person is able to charge how they want, let it post and then pay it off. I don't do this all the time but I also haven't been afraid to do it either. My credit card history is young (~18 mos experience) and it seems to be working in my favor.

I've been known to carry a balance every now and then too. Let the issuer earn a little extra $$ from me (but not much). And then I pay the balance off in 2 or 3 statements. Again, I'm convinced this helps build the relationship so that when it's time to ask for a CLI it could work in my favor.

Message 9 of 11
parakleet
Valued Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

OP said nothing about apps or scores ...so my thinking was freeing up available spending / closing in on limit ...Ha ha ha Smiley Tongue

That's true - I don't like to let the statement bal get too close to the limit so I do pay things down in those instances or if I need to free up some spending since god forbid I have to use my debit card for something! Smiley LOL

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.