Reply
New Contributor
Posts: 79
Registered: ‎11-07-2012
0

Pay off card before statement close?

So I applied and was approved for the AAdvantage Citi Platinum with the 50k bonus while spending $3k in 3 months. I've had the card for a few weeks and saved a lot of my big spending for when I got it. My balance is at $2k and my credit limit is $3500. Should I go ahead and pay this down before the statement closes in order to show less util?

Community Leader
Senior Contributor
Posts: 27,465
Registered: ‎02-07-2013
0

Re: Pay off card before statement close?


ssmith891 wrote:

So I applied and was approved for the AAdvantage Citi Platinum with the 50k bonus while spending $3k in 3 months. I've had the card for a few weeks and saved a lot of my big spending for when I got it. My balance is at $2k and my credit limit is $3500. Should I go ahead and pay this down before the statement closes in order to show less util?


Yes feel free to pay down

+ Chase ink =




Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,715
Registered: ‎03-07-2013
0

Re: Pay off card before statement close?


myjourney wrote:

ssmith891 wrote:

So I applied and was approved for the AAdvantage Citi Platinum with the 50k bonus while spending $3k in 3 months. I've had the card for a few weeks and saved a lot of my big spending for when I got it. My balance is at $2k and my credit limit is $3500. Should I go ahead and pay this down before the statement closes in order to show less util?


Yes feel free to pay down


+1 Smiley Happy



GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Super Contributor
Posts: 10,894
Registered: ‎04-22-2013
0

Re: Pay off card before statement close?


djc1puno wrote:

myjourney wrote:

ssmith891 wrote:

So I applied and was approved for the AAdvantage Citi Platinum with the 50k bonus while spending $3k in 3 months. I've had the card for a few weeks and saved a lot of my big spending for when I got it. My balance is at $2k and my credit limit is $3500. Should I go ahead and pay this down before the statement closes in order to show less util?


Yes feel free to pay down


+1 Smiley Happy


-1!  Only do that if you plan to app for something or are looking for CLIs etc this month where your score matters.  Otherwise PIF on the due date (using Citi autopay) and stop giving money early.

Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,145
Registered: ‎04-13-2013
0

Re: Pay off card before statement close?


longtimelurker wrote:

djc1puno wrote:

myjourney wrote:

ssmith891 wrote:

So I applied and was approved for the AAdvantage Citi Platinum with the 50k bonus while spending $3k in 3 months. I've had the card for a few weeks and saved a lot of my big spending for when I got it. My balance is at $2k and my credit limit is $3500. Should I go ahead and pay this down before the statement closes in order to show less util?


Yes feel free to pay down


+1 Smiley Happy


-1!  Only do that if you plan to app for something or are looking for CLIs etc this month where your score matters.  Otherwise PIF on the due date (using Citi autopay) and stop giving money early.


+1 There's a bit of an overemphasis on here about paying before the statement cuts. 


Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Community Leader
Senior Contributor
Posts: 27,465
Registered: ‎02-07-2013
0

Re: Pay off card before statement close?

OP said nothing about apps or scores ...so my thinking was freeing up available spending / closing in on limit ...Ha ha ha Smiley Tongue

+ Chase ink =




Regular Contributor
Posts: 736
Registered: ‎07-22-2013
0

Re: Pay off card before statement close?

don't know this is useful or not but my first month i received my BofA card
i charged about 580 on it and paid 300 back before statement came out and i saw my credit high at 580 even though the statement balance reported was 280


Current score TU 708, EX 686 EQ 715
Status I.T.Garden Till 08/2014
Valued Contributor
Posts: 2,111
Registered: ‎07-29-2011
0

Re: Pay off card before statement close?

I think OP is asking if he will still get the bonus points.  Yes, you get the points for meeting minimum spend, regardless of when you pay the balance.  You don't need to pay it until the due date, but you can pay it whenever you want, even before the statement cuts if this is what you want to do.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,841
Registered: ‎09-18-2012
0

Re: Pay off card before statement close?


ssmith891 wrote:

So I applied and was approved for the AAdvantage Citi Platinum with the 50k bonus while spending $3k in 3 months. I've had the card for a few weeks and saved a lot of my big spending for when I got it. My balance is at $2k and my credit limit is $3500. Should I go ahead and pay this down before the statement closes in order to show less util?


I'm a big fan of letting some months' charges post and then PIF. I have no definitive proof, but I think it looks good to the issuer when a person is able to charge how they want, let it post and then pay it off. I don't do this all the time but I also haven't been afraid to do it either. My credit card history is young (~18 mos experience) and it seems to be working in my favor.

 

I've been known to carry a balance every now and then too. Let the issuer earn a little extra $$ from me (but not much). And then I pay the balance off in 2 or 3 statements. Again, I'm convinced this helps build the relationship so that when it's time to ask for a CLI it could work in my favor.

Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,145
Registered: ‎04-13-2013
0

Re: Pay off card before statement close?


myjourney wrote:

OP said nothing about apps or scores ...so my thinking was freeing up available spending / closing in on limit ...Ha ha ha Smiley Tongue


That's true - I don't like to let the statement bal get too close to the limit so I do pay things down in those instances or if I need to free up some spending since god forbid I have to use my debit card for something! Smiley LOL


Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.