Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay off closed CC or open CC first?

tag
kmacqua
Regular Contributor

Pay off closed CC or open CC first?

I've just paid off a high APR credit card and am ready to pay down the next card.  I have two cards with the same APR, one is closed and the other is open.  Both are in good standing and have a history of on-time payments.  What move would best help me rebuild my FICO, pay down the closed account or the open account?  I think that the paying down the open account will improve debt to credit limit ratio. But I also think it can't be good to have a closed account with a balance sitting on my credit report for long.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Chris679
Established Contributor

Re: Pay off closed CC or open CC first?

Both cards count toward your overall utilization %.  The difference is in the way FICO will score the util for each account.  Since the closed account will show a zero limit it is essentially maxed out and that will hurt your score more than the open card.  I would start paying the closed one down first and maybe even try to reopen it if the terms were ok.

Message 2 of 5
kmacqua
Regular Contributor

Thank you!

Do you (or anyone else) happen to know if I do reopen the account, does it reopen the SAME account, i.e. keep my old account start date (2004 or 2005, I believe), or would I essentially be opening a new account with a new start date that would lower my overall average age of accounts? 

Message 3 of 5
navistar
Regular Contributor

Try to negotiate those terms with credit card company and see where you get

MyFico Equifax - 691
MyFico Experian - 692
Barclay Transunion - 682 (Last Updated 03/21/14)

Citi Diamond Preferred - $2,300 / Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage - $5,600 / Barclay - $4,600 / GE Care Credit - $1,000
Current Utilization - 52% / AAoA - 6yrs
Message 4 of 5
Chris679
Established Contributor

@kmacqua wrote:

Thank you!

Do you (or anyone else) happen to know if I do reopen the account, does it reopen the SAME account, i.e. keep my old account start date (2004 or 2005, I believe), or would I essentially be opening a new account with a new start date that would lower my overall average age of accounts? 

Explain to them that you want to keep the history on the account by reopening the old one.  If they told you to apply for a new account then just say thanks but no thanks.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.