Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay off/down question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Pay off/down question

@Anonymous wrote:

If your overall goal is to pay off the cards ASAP rather than optimizing your score immediately, I'd pay off the lowest balances first... that way your payments in following months will hit your principal balances more on the remaining cards instead of spreading that money out to pay interest on a lot of cards.

I was in a similar situation when I started paying off my cards and couldn't figure out why I never made any real progress in paying them off until I started this strategy. Before I would pay a little over the minimum payment on each card which barely dropped balances month-to-month, but once I started focusing on paying off the lowest balances first and targeting my payments to affect the actual balances I started seeing balances and cards get paid off way faster.

I see you subscribe to the Dave Ramsey school of thought.

It's not THE worst idea but it's more of a psychological trick than anything else.

Pay off something easy and pat yourself on the back, you like pats on the back don't you?

Keep paying down those small balances and then eat away at the big ones. Smiley Happy

I recommend the OP pay down the FP cards immediately to at LEAST 1/2 of the CL and lock them away or give them to someone you trust not to futz with them so you don't use them again. Then continue to pay down as often as you can afford to.

Message 21 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If your overall goal is to pay off the cards ASAP rather than optimizing your score immediately, I'd pay off the lowest balances first... that way your payments in following months will hit your principal balances more on the remaining cards instead of spreading that money out to pay interest on a lot of cards.

I was in a similar situation when I started paying off my cards and couldn't figure out why I never made any real progress in paying them off until I started this strategy. Before I would pay a little over the minimum payment on each card which barely dropped balances month-to-month, but once I started focusing on paying off the lowest balances first and targeting my payments to affect the actual balances I started seeing balances and cards get paid off way faster.

It's not THE worst idea but it's more of a psychological trick than anything else.

Pay off something easy and pat yourself on the back, you like pats on the back don't you?

Keep paying down those small balances and then eat away at the big ones. Smiley Happy

I recommend the OP pay down the FP cards immediately to at LEAST 1/2 of the CL and lock them away or give them to someone you trust not to futz with them so you don't use them again. Then continue to pay down as often as you can afford to.

actually not really, for me it worked as a strategy of paying off faster rather than a pat on the back... I really don't care for being patted on the back anyway as it makes me feel like a child lol.

But realistically speaking, the more you can apply towards the actual balance each month, the faster it'll be paid off. So the fewer cards to split up the payments, the faster the remaining cards can be paid off. Big bites will rid you of a pizza faster than small bites lol.

My point was only if his goal is to pay off the balances ASAP, your strategy helps for credit scores which my suggestion would ignore. It's really just a matter of priority, for me after struggling with the balances for years my priority became "get rid of this crap now" rather than "try to have pretty scores that I'm not using anyway" since I wasn't apping for anything new during my time of getting out of debt my score really wasn't a concern at the moment... plus, once the balances are paid off, the score will come anyway.

Message 22 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hope you didn't take it personally. I was just explaining my view on that method of debt paydown.

As far as pats on the back, It's a metaphorical pat on the back. Smiley Tongue

Message 23 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

lol, not taking it personal at all... the child thing was said tongue in cheek, I'm new to the board so my dry humor may be lost in translation sometimes.

But I think your strategy is good for score optimization, nothing wrong with that at all if that's the priority. I was just offering an alternative.

Message 24 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

lol, not taking it personal at all... the child thing was said tongue in cheek, I'm new to the board so my dry humor may be lost in translation sometimes.

But I think your strategy is good for score optimization, nothing wrong with that at all if that's the priority. I was just offering an alternative.

Oh, I don't even bother with the score optimization stuff. If I did i'd be a cat's hair away from 700 on my EX/TU.

Message 25 of 31
Chris679
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

actually not really, for me it worked as a strategy of paying off faster rather than a pat on the back... I really don't care for being patted on the back anyway as it makes me feel like a child lol.

But realistically speaking, the more you can apply towards the actual balance each month, the faster it'll be paid off. So the fewer cards to split up the payments, the faster the remaining cards can be paid off. Big bites will rid you of a pizza faster than small bites lol.

My point was only if his goal is to pay off the balances ASAP, your strategy helps for credit scores which my suggestion would ignore. It's really just a matter of priority, for me after struggling with the balances for years my priority became "get rid of this crap now" rather than "try to have pretty scores that I'm not using anyway" since I wasn't apping for anything new during my time of getting out of debt my score really wasn't a concern at the moment... plus, once the balances are paid off, the score will come anyway.

The problem with the "snowball" method and why I hate is so much is that it is not the fastest way.  The part you overlooking is that you pay more interest this way.  This is a math problem and there is only one correct answer and that's to pay off highest APR first.  If you want to worry about score of feel like you are getting somewhere that's fine but there is only one way to pay off fastest.

Message 26 of 31
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

IMHO there is no one size fits all approach to paying off debt.

We all have to decide for ourselves what works best for our situation.

Message 27 of 31
Capya
New Contributor

@Chris679 wrote:
 This is a math problem and there is only one correct answer and that's to pay off highest APR first. 

100% Correct if your goal is to save money.   If you're willing to spend extra money on interest just to massage your credit score temporarily, then that's up to you.

Starting Score: 573 (Exp 10/12)
Current Score: 767 (Exp 6/13)
Goal Score: 700+ I Crushed it!!!

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 28 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Chris679 wrote:

The problem with the "snowball" method and why I hate is so much is that it is not the fastest way.  The part you overlooking is that you pay more interest this way.  This is a math problem and there is only one correct answer and that's to pay off highest APR first.  If you want to worry about score of feel like you are getting somewhere that's fine but there is only one way to pay off fastest.

Based on your math, you're assuming equal balances... 20% on a $300 balance will yield less interest than 15% on a 1000 balance. 

I'm not saying my approach is THE way, but looking simply at the APR ignores a lot of factors. If you were to look at the actual monthly interest paid on each card for example, you'd have a better clue on which cards are really dragging out the payments. Just a quick eyeball at OP tells me $1,000 can pay off 3 cards... monthly payments in months to come would then be divided between 4 cards instead of 6 if OP were to pay off only 1 card. Mathematically speaking, the more cards that divide up the monthly payment, the less of the actual balances is being paid off on those cards and the more you end up paying in interest in the long run.

@MarineVietVet wrote:

agreed

Message 29 of 31
Chris679
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Chris679 wrote:

Based on your math, you're assuming equal balances... 20% on a $300 balance will yield less interest than 15% on a 1000 balance. 

I'm not saying my approach is THE way, but looking simply at the APR ignores a lot of factors. If you were to look at the actual monthly interest paid on each card for example, you'd have a better clue on which cards are really dragging out the payments. Just a quick eyeball at OP tells me $1,000 can pay off 3 cards... monthly payments in months to come would then be divided between 4 cards instead of 6 if OP were to pay off only 1 card. Mathematically speaking, the more cards that divide up the monthly payment, the less of the actual balances is being paid off on those cards and the more you end up paying in interest in the long run.

@MarineVietVet wrote:

agreed

Again, what you are saying is incorrect.  You are not factoring in the interest that will or will not be added on to the principal depending on which account is paid.  Like I said in my post if your goal is a lower score or a moral victory then fine.  But make no mistake there is only one way to pay off fastest and that is highest APR first. 

Message 30 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.