cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay off in Lump Sum or Small payments?

tag
compassion101
Established Contributor

Re: Pay off in Lump Sum or Small payments?

+1 to paying them all off and then save for the emergency fund. You will probably save $30 in interest per month by paying them down as opposed to leaving 2k on them.

Message 11 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@yofico wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Luscher wrote:
Id honestly say pay them all off, and then work to save that 2k fund you want. It will save you a ton of interest in the long run and improves your credit score at the same time

This.

The interest from saving $2,000 should be pretty marginal though.

I could definitely do this! I really like this idea the best. Marginal interest, yes; however, I can save 2k easily without credit card debt.

I will keep everyone posted and let you know the impact this has on my score. As much headache and stress this debt has caused me, I am actually happy I went through this. It feels amazing to be free and when I use my card, I will always look back on my life in debt. I DO NOT WANT TO GO BACK THERE. ...moving forward!

thanks again.

BTW, Since no one else said it. Congrats on running into $11,000 without losing life (someone else's obviously) , limb, or kidney.

Message 12 of 31
Jlu
Established Contributor

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 13 of 31
Jlu
Established Contributor

Come on OP tell us how you got the money. This is the internet and is definitely totally anonymous and safe from judgement.
AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 14 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jlu wrote:
Come on OP tell us how you got the money. This is the internet and is definitely totally anonymous and safe from judgement.

Any banks missing money lately?

JK OP Smiley Very Happy

Message 15 of 31
LexieCat
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

BTW, Since no one else said it. Congrats on running into $11,000 without losing life (someone else's obviously) , limb, or kidney.

Hey!  *I* said it!  Smiley Wink  Anyway, if you pay them all off now, I suggest you set up a plan to put every cent you are CURRENTLY paying on those cards into a savings account.  Plus a little extra, if you can spare it.  Seriously, it's always good to have that cushion.  I keep some money (a couple thousand) in my Wells Fargo savings (which pays virtually nothing in interest) just so I am immediately liquid.  I also sock away a bit every month that I put into a high-yield savings (I use Barclays, which pays .9 percent interest).  That's my bigger, badder savings account, but it takes a few days to get my paws on it, so I still keep that WF account for the liquidity.

Chase Sapphire Preferred $32k; CapitalOne Venture $30k; Chase Slate $30k; Barclaycard Arrival Plus $25k; Wells Fargo Visa $25k; Amex EveryDay $25k; Barclaycard Ring $15.5k; Lowes $10k; Barclaycard Apple Financing $9.5k; Best Buy $7k; Chase Amazon Rewards Visa $6.5k; misc. store cards

EQ 822; TU 820; EX 819
Message 16 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LexieCat wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey!  *I* said it!  Smiley Wink  Anyway, if you pay them all off now, I suggest you set up a plan to put every cent you are CURRENTLY paying on those cards into a savings account.  Plus a little extra, if you can spare it.  Seriously, it's always good to have that cushion.  I keep some money (a couple thousand) in my Wells Fargo savings (which pays virtually nothing in interest) just so I am immediately liquid.  I also sock away a bit every month that I put into a high-yield savings (I use Barclays, which pays .9 percent interest).  That's my bigger, badder savings account, but it takes a few days to get my paws on it, so I still keep that WF account for the liquidity.

Ah, I didn't notice it. Sorry!

Message 17 of 31
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@Luscher wrote:
Id honestly say pay them all off, and then work to save that 2k fund you want. It will save you a ton of interest in the long run and improves your credit score at the same time

+1

and start saving toward an emergency fund

Message 18 of 31
Chris679
Established Contributor

I would pay them all off and here's why:
1-you usually have no grace period if you are carrying a balance so you can't use the card without paying interest right away on new purchases. You have to PIF for two months straight to reinstate the grace period on many cards.
2-you can always use a credit card for emergencies, don't get me wrong an emergency fund is good to have but don't pay interest to save for it. If you have to use a card later you're no worse off than you are now but you saved on interest.
3-you save money on interest on the current balances and you're credit report/score looks a lot shinier which can save you money in a number of ways
Message 19 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

I bet OP finally got his money from that rich Nigerian prince he helped out! Smiley LOL

Message 20 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.