cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay off this debt, or put the money in savings? I really need your guys' opinions.

tag
vayub4
Regular Contributor

Re: Pay off this debt, or put the money in savings? I really need your guys' opinions.

Never be afraid of carrying debts especially you're not paying interests. Only time I am against debts is when you are constantly paying interests and have no plans on how to tackle the debts. If I were you, I would put that money in savings. 

Like someone said earlier, make your cash work for you. 

Discover IT $25,500 Chase Freedom $14,500 CapOne QuickSilver $10,000 Walmart Mastercard $10,000 PayPal Xtras Mastercard $10,000 JCP $7,500 BOA Cash Rewards $6,900 OldNavy Visa $5,000 BarclayCard $3,700 Macys $3,500 HH Gregg $3,500 BestBuy $2,000 Last APP June/2016(useless rental apartment)Inquiries: Trans/7 Exp/16 Eqi/27
(1 Car Loan @2.74%)
Message 31 of 35
vayub4
Regular Contributor

Re: Pay off this debt, or put the money in savings? I really need your guys' opinions.

Not necessarily accurate or applicable to everyone. DTI is a matter of your monthly debt payments (or future payments) as a percentage of your monthly income. So even with $50 per month on each of the 3 cards, OP would only have a DTI of 6%, which is super low. 

Additionally, often mortgage payments are significantly lower than rent. So by having a mortgage you could end up paying off debt faster than renting. 

I like your response. Would you be willing to chat privately? I am looking into home ownership

Discover IT $25,500 Chase Freedom $14,500 CapOne QuickSilver $10,000 Walmart Mastercard $10,000 PayPal Xtras Mastercard $10,000 JCP $7,500 BOA Cash Rewards $6,900 OldNavy Visa $5,000 BarclayCard $3,700 Macys $3,500 HH Gregg $3,500 BestBuy $2,000 Last APP June/2016(useless rental apartment)Inquiries: Trans/7 Exp/16 Eqi/27
(1 Car Loan @2.74%)
Message 32 of 35
vayub4
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi - after some work I've managed to get my credit fixed to where all three are between 628 and 650, no negative items except a few late payments on student loans ages ago. Only catch - we have no revolving credit other than student loans (no credit cards) and want to buy a house, so need to raise our scores. MyFico says with a card over $2500 my score will go to 701. Wife is in a very similar situation - we both need to find CC's that will approve over $2500 limits without being a rip off in our situation so we can rebuild our credit. Any recommendations or thigns to steer clear off?

Thanks so much!

Did you do this yourself or you used one of these companies? I am interested in fixing credit as well

(1 Car Loan @2.74%)
Message 33 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Two words... One name.

Dave Ramsey

Do yourself a huge favor and get his book financial peace. 

Message 34 of 35
Bman70
Established Contributor

@vayub4 wrote:

Not necessarily accurate or applicable to everyone. DTI is a matter of your monthly debt payments (or future payments) as a percentage of your monthly income. So even with $50 per month on each of the 3 cards, OP would only have a DTI of 6%, which is super low. 

Additionally, often mortgage payments are significantly lower than rent. So by having a mortgage you could end up paying off debt faster than renting. 

I like your response. Would you be willing to chat privately? I am looking into home ownership

I sent you a PM with Shane The Mortgage Man's contact info. He seems to be the go-to for home buying advice here. 

EX 822
TU 834
EQ 820

Message 35 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.