Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay over time for AMEX charge cards

tag
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

Re: Pay over time for AMEX charge cards

@mrcrush20 wrote:

The blance wont show up on your credit reports ? wow that would be a good option for someone who NEEDS to pay off over time... that rate seems high tho i doubt people use it much. it is a set amount of time like an instalment loan ? 12 24 36 months and so on ? or just min payments ? 

The balance will show up on my credit reports, but it won't be calculated into my utilization (except for the TU98 FICO version).  It's not like an installment loan, it basically is a revolving balance on a charge card.  So yes, minimum payments are due each month until paid in full.  And interest accrues, of course.

FICOs: TU08 842 EQ08 850 EX08 850

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; Apple Card $20K; BofA Travel Rewards Visa Sig $67.6K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Chase Freedom Unlimited $21.4K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Visa $25K; NFCU Flagship Visa Sig $40K; NFCU More Rewards Amex $30K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Altitude Go Visa Sig $20K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Message 11 of 18
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

I took this option and no AA.  I got 5K MR points for doing it too. Smiley Happy The APR is 15.24 so about the same as a lot of their revolvers and my hard limit to revolve is 35K.  I don't plan on using it but the option is there and it doesn't affect FICO utility if I want to carry a balance.  The option is to revolve any charge over $100 and the charges show up on your statements that are eligible.  Get the 5K MR points and don't use it is my recommendation.  In order to be invited, you have to have a GREAT internal score with Amex so no worries IMHO and experience.

Added hard limit to revolve

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 12 of 18
CreditPacMan
Established Contributor

So in essence ..  AMEX needs you to be a cardholder for over a year with a high internal score to get qualified for the option? I could see that most of you have the option but kind of don't like it ...?

Current Cards:
Message 13 of 18
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

I don't think there is a minimum time limit for the option to be offered.  I've had my Amex charge cards for less then a year after rebuilding and I was offered the option a few months ago.  And I don't necessarily dislike the option.  Actually, I like having it though I've never used it.  The benfits:  revolve a balance with no hit to utility.  5K MR bonus.  You don't have to use it.  The down side:  You will pay interest.  15.24% or higher.  Some say it  leads to AA but I don't see the evidence for this.  These are just MY observations.  

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 14 of 18
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

I also just want to put this out there:  Amex does not offer products to individuals so that they can "trick" them into losing their accounts.  Amex like any financial institution offers products to it's customers in the hopes of driving more revenue at the lowest possible risk with the highest reward that is precieved by it's customer base as having value.  If Amex thinks you can't pay your bills, they will FR you in a heart beat.  With that said, if you are offered a product by them, take it if it will benefit you because it's not a ploy but an opportunity for both them and you to have another financial relationship.  JMHO Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 18
mrcrush20
New Contributor

" If I ever need to carry a CC balance I'm in real trouble. Almost as much as that CC issuer would be."

+1

LOL Smiley LOL

Message 16 of 18
hemi961
Regular Contributor

I have a Platinum and PRG and added it to both cards for the 5,000 MR points each. The invites came at the 6 month mark but I don't know if that is when they typically do it or not. I just downgraded the Gold card to Zync a few days ago and will be interested to see if the pay over time feature stays with the change. I have never used it and don't anticipate doing so but it is a nice feature and I got 10,000 points in the process.
Message 17 of 18
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Pay over time is selective to qualified AMEX cardholder. I'd advised you to not use it frequently and use it responsibly. Don't use it then pay minimum payment each month. If you use it, try to pay off the balance within 6 months. There has been horror stories of revolving balance more than 6 months.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.