New Visitor
roccaas

Pay them off "all at once", or "in a few big chunks"?

Better for score?

I can pay off all three at once, but does that "signal" anything to the credit score?  Would it be better to pay off say 1/4th per month over 4 months?

Immediate payoff will certainly make an interest rate and interest payment impact, but these things don't always work logically, and I don't want the scoring computers to read anything into my hard work to come up with enough to pay them all off at once.

Thanks

Established Contributor
TNTransplant

Re: Pay them off "all at once", or "in a few big chunks"?

Pay them all off now if you have the money.  

Your max FICO score will ultimately end up the same, but you'll get the dual benefits of an earlier max score (rather than later) by paying them off now, and you'll save $ by paying no interest.  Your FICO score is only a snapshot for the exact time that it's being pulled anyway, so there will be no long-term negative effects by paying now - only positive.

Starting Score: Jan 2012: EQ - 659, TU08 - 670, EX - ???
Current Score:April 2014: EQ - 772, TU08 - 782, EX - 754
Last App:3/21/14

Valued Contributor
Uborrow-Upay

Welcome to the forums, roccaas!

If you are not seeking new credit anytime soon, pay off your cards in full at your whim.  It won't matter much in scoring, but it will matter to your wallet.  Do not pay interest if you don't have to.

Please know that I might not fully understand your question, but as a general rule, if you're not looking for a loan, don't sweat your credit score, just tweak it when you need it!

:smileyhappy:

All the best to you, and again, welcome!

Valued Contributor
thom02099

TNTransplant wrote:

Pay them all off now if you have the money.  

Your max FICO score will ultimately end up the same, but you'll get the dual benefits of an earlier max score (rather than later) by paying them off now, and you'll save $ by paying no interest.  Your FICO score is only a snapshot for the exact time that it's being pulled anyway, so there will be no long-term negative effects by paying now - only positive.

+1

You've done some work to get your scores to where they are.  You could go to that next level by paying off your balances and keeping one account at ~7-9% utilization.  I've seen that recommended here and elsewhere and that's where I got my best score boost.  YMMV. 

Diners Club Premier MasterCard $50K / AMEX Gold NPSL / AMEX Zync NPSL / AMEX Blue Cash Preferred $14K / Bank of America Cash Rewards Signature Visa $15K / Merrill Lynch Plus Signature Visa $15K / Wells Fargo Propel 365 $15K / Chase Sapphire Preferred Signature Visa $10K / J P Morgan Select Signature Visa $10K / Chase Slate Visa $6K / CITI Diamond Preferred MasterCard $13.2K / Discover IT $10.5K / IberiaBank Select Visa $8K / 1st Command Bank Platinum Visa $7.5K // Home Depot $9.7K / Lowes $10K

EX = 799 EQ = 812 TU = 811 - 11/2014
Established Contributor
migliogiorni

Pay em off asap.  There is no reason to wait when you have the cash now, GL.

BOA: 8.9k
CSP: 5k
Discover: 5k
Citi TY Preferd: 5k
Wally: 5k
JCP: 4.9k
citiForward: 4.7k
ChaseFreedom: 4.5k
DFS: 2k
Moderator Emeritus
webhopper

All at once. The computer doesn't score you by how much is left unpaid. They score you by how fast and often.you pay everything.

Starting Score: 08/29/2011 TU 671 EQ 674
Current Score: TU 754 EQ 694 EX 697
Wallet: NFCU Visa Sig 25k, Amex Lowes 22k, NavCheck 15k, Amex PRG, Amex Zync, Discover It 13.5k, Amazon Visa 5k
Platinum Spade Garden Club Member: App Free since 1/1/13. No more apps til who knows when?
MyFICO Fitness Goal: 800s Club!

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor
Epcot

Good advice given, and welcome aboard!

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 816 EX 780 TU 823
App free since 4/11/13

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}