Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PayPal Debit Card/Business Debit Mastercard

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PayPal Debit Card/Business Debit Mastercard

Does anyone know anything about the PayPal debit card system?

I have been using PayPal for a while now, mostly for eBay transactions and stuff of that nature. The past couple years I have been working online a bit, and payment is always through PayPal. I make roughly $250 or so a month from doing this freelance work. It's not a lot, and I know that...but it's always nice to have a little extra income each month for only working about 15-20hrs on the side/online. I have been transferring the balance to my regularly checking account, but that takes 3-5 business days to complete, and sometimes I need/want the cash faster. Is there a debit card that PayPal offers that would more or less work the same as a checking account with any other bank? I have also been looking into their credit card they offer, but I am more interested in just a pure debit card from them at this point.

I have seen the PayPal Business Debit Mastercard that gets 1% back on purchases. Do I have to be a business or affiliated with one? I think the naming of that card can be a bit confusing.

Thanks in advance! Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Re: PayPal Debit Card

You would have to apply for a PayPal credit card if denied and were offered a PayPal smartconnect account they have a PayPal debit card you can link to it.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 2 of 8
RBFool
Contributor

Re: PayPal Debit Card/Business Debit Mastercard

@Anonymous wrote:

Does anyone know anything about the PayPal debit card system?

I have been using PayPal for a while now, mostly for eBay transactions and stuff of that nature. The past couple years I have been working online a bit, and payment is always through PayPal. I make roughly $250 or so a month from doing this freelance work. It's not a lot, and I know that...but it's always nice to have a little extra income each month for only working about 15-20hrs on the side/online. I have been transferring the balance to my regularly checking account, but that takes 3-5 business days to complete, and sometimes I need/want the cash faster. Is there a debit card that PayPal offers that would more or less work the same as a checking account with any other bank? I have also been looking into their credit card they offer, but I am more interested in just a pure debit card from them at this point.

I have seen the PayPal Business Debit Mastercard that gets 1% back on purchases. Do I have to be a business or affiliated with one? I think the naming of that card can be a bit confusing.

Thanks in advance! Smiley Happy

I have a paypal debit card. It works just like a checking account. You can purchase with the debit card or withdraw cash like a checking account, as long as you have the balance in your paypal account. I can't speak to the credit side of it.

BK 7 Dismissed: 5/2014 AAoA: 6 years Credit Scores (07-02-2015): My Privacy Matters: TU: 633 EX:658 EQ: 651
How to add pics to Signature

Message 3 of 8
SusieQ
Regular Contributor

I have paypal debit card.    You don't need to be a business.   Call them and ask for one, they should give you one without any problem.

It is a handy way to access your balance without having to wait for a banking transfer.

Message 4 of 8
ChargeItPlease
Regular Contributor

I've had one for about 10 years, and only stopped using it since I've gotten credit cards. If you have freelance income, then that's business income. You are self-employed, even if it's part-time. When I got mine, you needed to have a Premier or Business PayPal Account to get the card. I don't know if that's still the case.

The cash back is nice if you don't have a better cash back card, and you can link your bank account to use as backup funding to spend more than your PP balance, so you can use the card for all of your spending and not worry where your money is.

Starting Score: 400s (2011) Current: EQ 655 (01-2014) Goal: 700 Last app: 01-01-14. No apps 'til 12-2014!
Message 5 of 8
PokemonMaster
Frequent Contributor

You only need to get/have a Premier account or Business account to get one. You can upgrade to a premier account if you have a personal account or you can just make one. PayPal does not allow people to have multiple personal accounts but you are allowed one personal account and one premier/business account. You can apply online for the debit card. It gives you 1% cashback on all signature purchases and you can link the card to pull from a linked checking account. You do not need or have to apply for one of their credit products to get the card.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

The debit card is pretty simple to get nowdays.  I've had mine for about 8 years and just had my wife signup for hers.  Took her all of 2 minutes to fill out the link to request it, then was about an hour or two before she got the email response.

I originally linked my checking account to it as a backup funding source and just used the PayPal card as my primary in place of my bank's debit card, since it had the 1% cash back on spend.  Wasn't the best, but better than the 0% my bank debit card provided me.  

In May, I put an app in for the PayPal Extras Mastercard and was declined, but they offered me a SmartConnect line instead.  I just linked that to my existing Paypal debit card and it works, for all practical purposes, as the exact same thing.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great thanks for all the responses. I plan to apply for their Debit Mastercard shortly! Sounds like it may be exactly what I am looking for. Are you approved instantly for this card, and then just wait the standard 7-10 days to receive it in the mail?

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.