Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PayPal Extras MC vs. Bill Me Later

tag
BrokaToe
Established Contributor

PayPal Extras MC vs. Bill Me Later

Hey folks, had a question for all you experts.

I've been getting emails almost daily to apply for the PayPal Extras MC as well as BML and was wondering which would be the better option.

I know a little bit about both of these tradelines, but not enough to make a decision of which one would be better to apply for. I'm not 100% certain that I will pull the trigger on either at this point, but just wanted to gather some sound advice just in case.

border="0" align="left" width="450" height="90">
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Re: PayPal Extras MC vs. Bill Me Later

Yes, you wil always receive offers for poor quality credit cards.

Choose the best cards yourself. Don't allow the credit card companies to choose for you.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 2 of 9
BrokaToe
Established Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

Yes, you wil always receive offers for poor quality credit cards.

Choose the best cards yourself. Don't allow the credit card companies to choose for you.

Although I appreciate the response, it didn't really relate to my question Smiley Wink

I was just wondering which one out of these two were better, what the upsides and downsides to each of these credit lines were.

I'm pretty familiar with receiving offers from various lenders on a daily basis and I've always chosen for myself of course. That's what led me to this question. I use PayPal quite a lot so felt that one of these products may fit into my credit plans.  But I wanted to gain as much information before choosing one or the other of these. Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

PayPal MC is through GE and must attach to a paypal account

Bill Me Later you could apply for direcltly and not link it to your paypal account so you could have both bill me later and paypal MC, and it's through Comenity and does not report to your personal credit... it's good for purchasing with 0% offers (usually over $100 gets you something)

they have some kind of cash back program but I think it's like Ebates you have to click through your bill me later account to then get credit for the cash back when you pay with bill me later, not sure... I have not seen cash back yet but I'm only 3 months in using my account... I LOVE IT!

they are basically 2 different products with different uses... if you can pay for things in full then bill me later is not usually the best option because of lack of rewards but if you want to revolve a balance a couple months and not get dinged on util. and such then bill me later is fab.... i think you should get both products!!

Message 4 of 9
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Paypal Extras points are worth 5/6 of a cent. so 3X on Gas and Restaurants is really just 2.5% cash back, and there are better cards for those categories (though restaurants might be useful if you cant get a US Bank cash+). If you were interested in that 2X on Paypal and Ebay, then thats really 1.66% cash back. The Fidelity Amex gives 2% cash back on all purchases, just for comparison purposes. So there are better choices available in all categories.

Creditaddict seems to understand Bill Me Later far more than I do, so I have nothing to add regarding that.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 5 of 9
phillyguy12
Frequent Contributor

I too been getting those emails I looked at the PayPal card look at the terms closely Pretty sure it said no grace on purchases so that was def a no go for me
Amx BCE-25k,Amx Zync-NSPL
Barclay's Mastercard-13.5k
Credit Union Visa-1k
Discover-24k, Khols-2k
Message 6 of 9
IWOL
Established Contributor

There are a few nice benefits to the Bill Me Later account. The main one being that it doesn't report to the credit bureaus. So if you want to make a fairly large purchase like a TV or whatever you can carry a balance for a while using the 6 month 0% and not Harvey to worry about your utilization being high. 

I just got an email for them yesterday offering 12 and 18 months no interest as well.  The other nice thing is that you don't really have a credit limit . They will soft pull TU each time you want to make a purchase that exceeds your current limit and it will either approve or decline and then you balance at that time becomes your new CL.

im not sure how high you can go with them but they seem to always start the line around $300 . I've had my account a few months and it's up to $2500, haven't been declined for a purchase yet.

they do offer cash back from certain merchants but they are horrible at crediting you properly and they are more than happy to blame it on your browser and won't help you in that aspect at all. The CSR are complete idiots why it comes to cash back.

The downsixe Ofcourse is that you won't build any credit history with them other than internally with Comenity.You also cannot use the BML account as back up fuming for the paypal debit card like the smart connect.

I also noticed after having they BML account with Comenity. I know get the preapproval popups on all the shopping cart tricks and. I never got them before. I don't want any Comeith cards buy it is fun to see the preapprovals

Message 7 of 9
BrokaToe
Established Contributor

Thanks y'all for some excellent info on these products. I like the idea of a hidden tradeline, especially for pricey purchases that I may want to float for a few months.  But the cash back of the Extras sound nice too.

Maybe you're right, maybe I should go for both, although with the Freedom, It and BOA 123 I get some pretty good cash back in most any category as I usually alternate between those. I do a lot of business on eBay though so having a cash back option for those purchases other than 1% sounds pretty good.

Definitely have to put some heavy thought into this.

BTW, The PP Extras MC does report to the bureaus correcT?

Message 8 of 9
IWOL
Established Contributor

You can get both BML and the Extras MC but you have to have 2 paypal accounts if you want the BML links to a paypal account.

Also keep in mind that if you get declined for the MC they will automatically give you the Smart Connect account. Your TU score looks good enough for the MC. I applied for the MC and got the smary connect which I was fine with since you can link it to the debit card and then use the debit card like a credit card.

Oh, and yes the paypal MC will report to the CB,s.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.