cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PayPal Mastercard App. What Just Happened??

tag
guydiver
Established Contributor

PayPal Mastercard App. What Just Happened??

I decided to apply for a PayPal Mastercard last night. I use Ebay often and could use the extra CL.  I filled out the very short app from my PayPal account page.  I had to fill in the income box three or four times, it kept popping up in red as not filled in.  Evidently I couldn't get it right, so it gave me a number to call to complete my application.  So I call and get someone.  Had to answer a lot of identification questions, but she wanted my phone number.  Asked if it was a cell phone(yes, I know), but that is my primary phone.  My landline is DSL only, and the only phone numbers on my CR's are both cell phone numbers.  She then wants to send me a text message with a code.  I get it, had a little trouble on my I-phone because I haven't ever gone into messages while talking on the phone before.  I give her the code, and she says that the computer will not accept it.  She sends me another code, and I read it out to her, TWICE, after she asks for it again.  Then I get the thank you speech, and I will get a letter in 7-10 days.  I ask her what that means, is that a denial or what?  She won't say, I get the 7-10 day spill again.  I have two GE accounts, one 6 years old, the other about three.  Both 10K with 0 balance, and I do use them often.  Perfect payment history. I have no negatives on my report, scores in my siggy.  AAoA 8 years.  Any ideas???

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
guydiver
Established Contributor

Re: PayPal Mastercard App. What Just Happened??

Just signed back into my PayPal account to see if anything has changed.  I clicked on the Mastercard app link, and got this message:

Unfortunately, your account is ineligible to apply for PayPal Credit.

Message 2 of 11
kobe2012
Established Contributor

I'm 99% they need verification..... When I got denied for car care one for my auto repair the reason was "unable to verify" I have 3 GE cards

Starting Score: MYFICO 12/30/15 -TU: 481, EQ:561, EX:532 - BK7 DISCHARGED 12/2015 - Current: 09/01/2016 TU:642 EQ: 651 EX: 646
NFCU cashRewards:$6200 QS:$1500 Merrick:$1200 Cabelas:$1000 SonyVisa: $500 JCrew:$850 Overstock:$850 Express: $1050 PaypalCredit:$2150 NAVCHECK:$10K
Message 3 of 11
guydiver
Established Contributor

Unfortunately, your account is ineligible to apply for PayPal Credit.

@kobe2012 wrote:

I'm 99% they need verification..... When I got denied for car care one for my auto repair the reason was "unable to verify" I have 3 GE cards

Thanks kobe.  I hope that's all it is.  I really, really, really thought hard before pulling the trigger.  But I've had a good relationship with GE and I was confident that was the direction I wanted to go. 

Message 4 of 11
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I'd assume that's what it is.

However, if you have 0% util, that could be an issue.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 5 of 11
guydiver
Established Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
I'd assume that's what it is.

However, if you have 0% util, that could be an issue.

Well, I'm at 0% right now on my GE accounts(28% overall), but I've carried balances in the thousands in the past for both GE cards, paid multiple times per month, so I definitely have a good history of usage.

Message 6 of 11
guydiver
Established Contributor

Still waiting on that darn 7-10 day letter.  Forgot today was a federal holiday, no mail service.  Smiley Mad

Message 7 of 11
guydiver
Established Contributor

I got my 7-10 day letter(took 13 days).  Basically the letter stated they could not verify my identity.  Did not give me a number to call.  So I called the number listed on my TU credit report that they hit me with the hard inquiry.  I got nowhere.  The lady on the phone sort of stuttered, and acted like she didn't know what to do, so she says she will transfer me to another department that can better help me. I know I'm getting overseas call centers everytime, decent English but somewhat difficult for me to understand.  So I'm on hold for a few minutes, then the same person comes back on.  Says she is sorry but that dept. cannot help me either.  Tells me I need to contact the 3 major credit bureaus to check my personal information.  I tell her they only pulled TU(at least that is where the hard inq. was).  She cannot tell me anything else, except that I can reapply in 30 days!?  By this time I'm just about over it. So I hang up, not getting anywhere.  I still think it is a phone # thing, so I call TU.  After getting three different numbers to call, I find out that all of my information is correct, including my phone #, which I can't see on any of my TU reports, including the Transunion site and MyFico.  At first one of them tells me there is a freeze on my report, but the fraud dept. says no there is not, and I get another # to call TU Interactive or something, and she assures me there are no freeze or fraud alerts on my file and verifies that all of my information is correct for the second or third time.  The bottom of my letter gives an address(Fla.) to contact if I have any questions about the denial.  So I just wrote a letter explaining everything that happened with my app., my verification of my TU report information,  and I enclosed a photocopy of my DL, and front page of my two GECRB statements from Lowe's and Sam's club, along with the letter they sent me.  If that doesn't verify who I am then nothing will.  Weird thing is, a couple of years or so ago I remember trying for a Wal-Mart card in the store, at the register.  It came back unable to identify.  There was a number I called, but wasn't able to get anyone or something like that.  I know for sure that when I applied in store for my Lowe's card that they pulled TU back about the same time.  No problems whatsoever then.  Just don't know.  I'll have to wait this one out, but I don't want to waste an inquiry without trying to sort it out.  FYI, when I call any of the GE backdoor numbers, they always refer me to the Paypal number, the same people I have called several times with no luck whatsoever.  Just darn frustrating!   

Message 8 of 11
guydiver
Established Contributor

Well, it's been over a week now.  No word.  Still waiting...............Smiley Mad

Message 9 of 11
kobe2012
Established Contributor

Did you ever get approved for the card???

Starting Score: MYFICO 12/30/15 -TU: 481, EQ:561, EX:532 - BK7 DISCHARGED 12/2015 - Current: 09/01/2016 TU:642 EQ: 651 EX: 646
NFCU cashRewards:$6200 QS:$1500 Merrick:$1200 Cabelas:$1000 SonyVisa: $500 JCrew:$850 Overstock:$850 Express: $1050 PaypalCredit:$2150 NAVCHECK:$10K
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.