Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PayPal Mastercard?

tag
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

PayPal Mastercard?

For those who have it, do you like it?  I looked at the rewards, and they seems kind of meh.  

But it does seem like qualification is not quite as stringent as some other cards.

Anyway just looking for some general opinions...also do you need a paypal account to apply?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
CreditExpressNJ
Established Contributor

Re: PayPal Mastercard?

@Dw4250 wrote:

For those who have it, do you like it?  I looked at the rewards, and they seems kind of meh.  

But it does seem like qualification is not quite as stringent as some other cards.

Anyway just looking for some general opinions...also do you need a paypal account to apply?

Yes, you do need a paypal account to apply but also keep in mind that if your profile doesnt fit the MC qualifications you may also be approved for a Smart Connect  line of credit instead... But nevertheless you can make that work too just by getting the paypal Debit MC and making Smart Connect your default payment method ... Back to the question though... I think its an OK card i mostly use it only for my paypal purchases and things i bill to my paypal account other o than that its decent for a starter to get your report to show a high limits credit card as GE is very generous ... it pretty much is just like every other points card .. 3x gas and restaurants , 2x ebay , 1 x everything else... Cash rewards start at $50 for 6000 Points... Feel free to ask me anything else if i havent touched base but others may also chime in...

CH7 Filed (3/29/17) - 483 EX 516 EQ 517 TU Discharged (5/31/17) - 559 EX 538 EQ 501 TU Current (1/18/22) - 690 EX 683 EQ 671 TU
Current Cards

Message 2 of 11
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

One of the reasons I was looking at it was because it's a GE card.  Because they tend to give regualr CLIs for good use, I could basically use PPMC as my 'pace car' to help my other cards attain higher CL.

How does the Debit MC work?  Are you saying there's a way to link it with the Smart Connect?

Message 3 of 11
CreditExpressNJ
Established Contributor

That is correct.. Basically if your qualified for Smart Connect instead of the PPMC you make Smart Connect your default payment method and then use your PP Debit MC and it will basically charge to the Smart Connect... Dont forget to enroll your debit card into 1% CB also so its kind of a win win both ways but ultimately i think the goal is the PPMC.
CH7 Filed (3/29/17) - 483 EX 516 EQ 517 TU Discharged (5/31/17) - 559 EX 538 EQ 501 TU Current (1/18/22) - 690 EX 683 EQ 671 TU
Current Cards

Message 4 of 11
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

I'm going to app for 2-3 cards next month, and PPMC is one of the cards I'm considering (ugh...my list keeps growing!).  I would probably decline the Connect card just because it's really not what I want right now, and I'm fairly confident I can qualify for the MC version.  I see you also have US Bank card...I am going to ask to unsecure my US Bank shortly.  Do you know if they will PC to a rewards card (from a secured)?  

Message 5 of 11
CreditExpressNJ
Established Contributor

That one i am not sure of.. I did have there secured for about 5 months but then i decided to apply for an unsecured and qualified for it then i closed it out so i'm not sure how there graduation process works but IMO if you can qualify for unsecured why bother with Secured...
Current Cards

Message 6 of 11
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Just be aware that if you redeem those points for cash back, $50 costs 6000 points. So the 3X Gas and Restaurants is actually only worth 5/6 of that, or 2.5% cash back. And cash back goes to your Paypal account.

Frankly, there are much better Gas cards available.

It might be useful for 2.5% Restaurants, if you cant get the US Bank cash+, AARP card, or Huntington Voice.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 7 of 11
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

US Bank Cash Plus is definitely on my radar for next year. I'm going to 'graduate' from the secured to the Platinum first and show good usage for 12 mos.

AARP....I'll app for that one in about 25 years...lol.

What is the Huntington Voice card? I've never heard of it? Are they considered a prime card? Hard approval?
Message 8 of 11
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@Dw4250 wrote:
US Bank Cash Plus is definitely on my radar for next year. I'm going to 'graduate' from the secured to the Platinum first and show good usage for 12 mos.

AARP....I'll app for that one in about 25 years...lol.

What is the Huntington Voice card? I've never heard of it? Are they considered a prime card? Hard approval?

The hardest part is that you have to be in their area of business.

https://www.huntington.com/regions/

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 9 of 11
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

Well I am two states away, so Huntington is probably a no-go.  Thx!

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.